• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Kentucky Pistol Range Review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprayinbear

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Here are my first rounds after adjusting the sights on my Traditions Kentucky Pistol I recently built from their kit. I was shooting at 10 yards single hand, freehand. I was shooting .490 rb over prelubed Ox-Yoke .018 patches. Load was 22 grains of FFFg Goex black powder. I certainly need to more practice to tighten the group, but I was able to call most of my shots. The only problem was I had to aim quite low (somewhere in the 5 ring) to hit in the 10 ring. I suppose I could file down the rear sight a bit to raise the point of impact.

Also, at 25 yards the point of impact was higher still (probably 4" higher.) Not certain how to manage vertical impact. Please forward your suggestions.

I want to take my hat off to Traditions for their choice of barrels. The .490 ball and patch were very tight in the bore. I believe this will help overall accuracy as I practice more. Also the bore is very smooth in loading and cleaning, leading me to believe that there will be only a minimal break-in period. IMG_2292.JPGIMG_2285.JPG

A higher front sight to lower the point of impact. Some like the 6 o’clock hold but like you I’d rather hit where I aim.
Nice job on the pistol.

IMO, mechanically this can be explained by the slightly higher elevation of the gun between 10 and 25m and the POI is raised by the same value that the angle.
Perhaps this is why the basic adjustment is usually done with the weapon set and pressed at the usual distance and for other distances it will be necessary to bring a correction...
That's the way I do it, but there's so much other ways I won't say it's the best...

Yes, your front sight does not look right. It appears moved back in the dovetail and is much shorter than the sight on my Traditions Kentucky pistol. I sighted mine in at 25 yards and found 25 grains FFg to be the best load. It shoots pretty much right on at those two distances. I don't shoot at shorter ranges so don't know the difference there. I agree with Erwan, get a taller front sight. Shoot for your best group/load and then file down the front sight as needed.

Found an old picture of mine and the set of the blade in the dovetail looks the same but my blade is definitely taller, and that is after filing. Including a picture of the back side also. Shows the cool grain on this particular Beech stock.
IMG_1625_1.JPG
IMG_1630_1.JPG

I would suggest shooting at a fixed distance, 20-25 yards. I like 25 yards, but that’s me.

Shoot from a sandbagged rest. The one handed stuff can be cool, but not the way to sight things in. The sandbag will eliminate most if not all of the human error. Load consistently, and hold at the same point for thre3 to five rounds. Increase or decrease you powder charge at that point and repeat shooting.

After that, adjust your sights slightly. Shoot again from a bagged rest. If you need to alter the sights, file the front one down to raise the impact.

For your powder charge, use 5 grain increment, up or down. I wouldn’t exceed 30 gr. Use FFFG powder.

Take your time and be consistent. :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree, a taller front sight is in order. That would also give me the opportunity to buy a steel sight rather then the brass (which I like the best for my eyes.)

Love the grain Rafterrob!

Question for the OP: The grip on your pistol looks different (less full) than the grip on rafterrob's pistol. Did it come pre-shaped that way, or did you take off some wood? You did a good job with your kit. Good shooting, too.

Rafterrob, that is indeed a crazy piece of beech!

Notchy Bob

Notchy Bob,
I found that there was a lot of extra wood on my kit. I think this is normal with Traditions these days. I removed a good bit of wood and could have done more, but I just worked until the pistol felt good in my hands.

Aprayinbear

At ten yards you should be able to easily keep them all in the 10 ring. Muzzleloading pistols take some getting use to and some practice.
Keep at it and it won't take you long to get there.

Carbon 6,
That's makes sense from a rest, but freehand.....give me a break. Granted, I have a way to go to tighten up the group, but expecting, even above average shooters, to keep all of their shots within the ten ring, even at ten yards is a dream.

Carbon 6,
That's makes sense from a rest, but freehand.....give me a break. Granted, I have a way to go to tighten up the group, but expecting, even above average shooters, to keep all of their shots within the ten ring, even at ten yards is a dream.

I learned a long time ago to never shoot a pistol from the bench. Use both hands.
Practice every week and your groups will tighten significantly.

Carbon 6,
Carbon6 is right, if your target is a 10m target you can't do it that's sure, but if the target is a 25m at 10 normally you can do it : an 25 international target have a ring of 5cm (2") and a international 10 target a ring of 1cm (0,4")...
So in a real target for 10m with a .45cal Kentucky the 10 ring is too small for only one bullet and the 25 with the ring of 10 sizing 5cm contain all your 13 bullets at 10m that's sure...

I meant the 10 ring not the X ring. The very center circle is the X ring.

Let's just make it easy and say the end of a soda can.

For practice I have a descending plate rack. The plates start out at 6" in diameter and descend to 1"
Handguns are all about practice.

"I just worked until the pistol felt good in my hands."
And That's exactly what one should do with a pistol. Especially these curved butt styles that can become difficult to grip on a hot sweaty day. Pretty intuitive when you grip that piece of wood and your hand tells your brain " that hump right there is uncomfortable"

Maybe we're talking apples and oranges. On my target the 10X is 5/8". The ten ring (not the X) is 1 3/8" across. The 9 ring is approx. 2 1/2" across. The 8 ring is 3 3/4" across. With more practice (and adjusting the sight for vertical, I'm pretty certain I can shoot 8-10's consistently, sometimes a bit better, sometimes a bit worse. That would be shooting free hand with one hand (I can't shoot 2 handed worth a toot.) I'm sure there are those who can do better, but they are the exceptional few, the serious competitors. In the distant past I used to shoot ten meter air pistol postal matches. In one ten shot group I shot a 96/100. That's Olympic numbers. Could I do it again........ probably not..... not ever. But my average was 88/100. Respectable. (oh yes, and I was using a modified Crossman pellet pistol, not a real 10 meter pistol.) My point is that shooting 5 round balls through a 1 3/8" hole consistently, off-handed is akin to shooting that 96 on a regular basis. 95% of shooters probably will not come close.

I'm with you aprayinbear on pistol shooting. I shoot pistol fairly often. by that I mean at least a couple of times a month. I also RSO at a public range. The number of people I have seen shooting who could put 5 rounds into a 3 3/4" at 10 meters could probably be counted with my fingers. I know I can't do it.

Back