• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky Pistol Question....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been looking at Kentucky pistols......
I keep hearing complaints about "small pistol grips" on the Traditions .50cal Kentucky Pistols. Anyone have any experience with them? And no, I don't wanna buy a Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol, just looking to get a pair of inexpensive yet functional KPs for shooting.

Well, I can't speak for myself as I have smaller hands BUT, I built the Kentucky Pistol from a kit for my father a few years back for Christmas, and he's a huge norwegian guy with massive hands and he says it is enjoyable to shoot. Accurate too... For the price, I think they're great.

Been looking at Kentucky pistols......
I keep hearing complaints about "small pistol grips" on the Traditions .50cal Kentucky Pistols. Anyone have any experience with them? And no, I don't wanna buy a Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol, just looking to get a pair of inexpensive yet functional KPs for shooting.

Buy cheap, get cheap.

Been looking at Kentucky pistols......I keep hearing complaints about "small pistol grips",,
It's not so much "Traditions" friend as the style.
The Traditions Kentucky vs the Trapper are two complete different grips.
I know it's so very hard to choose when making purchase without "handling" the item,, but if at all possible search for and "touch" several brands or models before buying one. The feel of each "in hand" is significantly different.

Traditional ML pistols have grips that allow various hand positions to work well. You just need to spend some time at home discovering which holds seem to work for you then try them at the range...c

My father has one that he got back in the late 70s or early 80s. I actually believe it’s a Junkar. My hands fit a size large nitrile or work gloves. I find the handle on his a bit spindly. That said I have not shot it since I was a teenager. Right now it needs new nipple threads and a new nipple.
I’m currently working on a Perdisolie . Right now it’s handle feels really good in my hand. I ordered a cast butt cap for it but I would have to take the handle down even smaller than my dad‘s Kentucky for to fit. So I’m on the fence on what to do. Not that that’s helpful to you :)

I just started a Traditions kit this weekend. The pistol does have a small grip. Probably will be ok foe a youth or small hand person. This is the only complaint that I have about the kit. Needs another inch for my hand.

Aiming the pistol with only three fingers on the grip with a 10 inch barrel might be a challenge. I will find out when i'm done.

Back