• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Kentucky nearly done

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need some input from you guys. I am almost finished with my traditions kentucky build. Should I leave the barrel in the white, blue it, or brown it? Myself, i'm partial to leaving it in the white as I like the bare metal look but part of me also wants to practice browning for my upcomming kibler SMR build.

Let me know what you guys think.

Chris

20210418_151727.jpg
20210418_151850.jpg
20210418_151742.jpg
20210418_151904.jpg
20210418_151920.jpg

The white really looks great, but rifles IMO even the nicer appointed ones should be functional. I don’t purposely hunt in the rain, but it does happen. A gun should have some barrier to prevent it from rusting.

Thanks for the input guys,
Im still at a crossroads, blueing is the easy route but I dont think the look quite fits. I like the unfinished look but as others have said it will start to patina quickly. That brings me back to brown which was the direction I was leaning when I bought the kit, just for getting some practice at it.

I know next to nothing about metal finishing, can someone point me in the right direction as far as what browning process to use?

Thanks guys!

Chris

You could cold blue it now for protection, practice your browning then remove the blueing and brown it later at your convenience.

I built the same rifle a few years ago. Browned the barrrel and faux tiger stripped the stock. I like the brown on the Kentucky. I don’t remember the solution I used got it from TOTW. Was real easy to use.

You could also split the difference and go for a "French gray" finish. I had one years ago and really liked that finish.

I need some input from you guys. I am almost finished with my traditions kentucky build. Should I leave the barrel in the white, blue it, or brown it? Myself, i'm partial to leaving it in the white as I like the bare metal look but part of me also wants to practice browning for my upcomming kibler SMR build.

Chris

View attachment 73790View attachment 73791View attachment 73792View attachment 73793View attachment 73794
Browned mine

My traditions kentucky is browned. I used birchwood casey plum brown I think, used the stove to heat it up and wiped it on. Followed the instructions and all was good. I didn't go super heavy though, enough to cover. Now some of the browning is wearing where I carry the rifle, looks old and I like it. Top rifle is my kentucky.
PXL_20210410_220912363.jpg

Chris

View attachment 73790View attachment 73791View attachment 73792View attachment 73793View attachment 73794
Looks v

Chris

Looks very nice I am building a kentucky also instead to brown the barrel

Back