• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky group @ 50 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawk78

Southern Pride
Reaction score
I'm definitely gonna have to file a bit, shoot, repeat until I get the group centered. The circle is 2 3/8 diameter, a snuff can.
15969778430382126046334273522253.jpg

Very good start.

Before tinkering with the sights, I'd work on the charge levels or powder type. Try a different F or type of powder. Material removed from the sights can't be put back on easily.

Excellent group. My Tennessee rifle was shooting a bit low as well. I didn't want to file too much off the front sight. Took maybe a 1/16 th inch off. I tried to aim by holding the top of the front sight to the top of the notch of the rear sight. That brought my POI right into the bullseye.

Ditto on excellent group! Yup, I can see you wanting to adjust for elevation. But I also like your group size fitting snugly into the 2-3/8" diameter. :thumb: All together just shy of spot on.
~wiksmo

Good group. Rather then trial and error filing you can easily use math to get it right the first time. Use any calipers to measure the front sight to include the stock with out the ram rod. Then plug in the numbers to this formula. Then file to the amount required.
D2=R2 (D1/R1)
D1 is impact error
D2 is amount of change needed
R1 is inches to target
R2 is sight radius in inches

example, .060”= 9” (6” / 900”)
D1 6” low
R1 900” (25yards)
R2 9” (pistol)
D2 .060”

This works for windage as well.

Good group. Rather then trial and error filing you can easily use math to get it right the first time. Use any calipers to measure the front sight to include the stock with out the ram rod. Then plug in the numbers to this formula. Then file to the amount required.
D2=R2 (D1/R1)
D1 is impact error
D2 is amount of change needed
R1 is inches to target
R2 is sight radius in inches

example, .060”= 9” (6” / 900”)
D1 6” low
R1 900” (25yards)
R2 9” (pistol)
D2 .060”

This works for windage as well.
Or, just use this chart from from Lyman. The columns designate the sight radius. These measurements are for movement of one inch at 100 yards. Double the figure for 50 yards; quadruple for 25 yards, etc.

Sight Correction.jpg

Simply change your sight picture. Put the rear sight lower/ bring front sight up. Or slightly increase powder charge.
That sure is a lot simply, thanks for your advice friend

Excellent group. My Tennessee rifle was shooting a bit low as well. I didn't want to file too much off the front sight. Took maybe a 1/16 th inch off. I tried to aim by holding the top of the front sight to the top of the notch of the rear sight. That brought my POI right into the bullseye.
I believe this is my best option

Latest posts

Back