• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions is the "Harbor Freight Tools" of Muzzleloading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that surface hardening over mild steel would be best. Some of the failed flys broke at the pin and appeared to hardened all the way thru.

Many of us of “advanced yearage” probably got their start using the old Lee whackamole tools.
What a blast from the past. I don't have the whakamole dies any longer, but I do still have the powder scoop set and chart. 😂

I would think that surface hardening over mild steel would be best. Some of the failed flys broke at the pin and appeared to hardened all the way thru.
Most successful bolt action ever was made of plain carbon steel with case harderned working surfaces, this was the ‘98 Mauser. Design is equally as important as material

Most successful bolt action ever was made of plain carbon steel with case harderned working surfaces, this was the ‘98 Mauser. Design is equally as important as material
True. Many like TC and Bill Ruger used to extoll the virtues of the lost wax casting process they used. I have always wondered if this method affects the metallurgy of the steel.

While raising a family, I shot what I could afford. My first rifle was a used T/C Hawken bought at a Pawnshop for $150 on lay-a-way around 1986 (I then had to go to the ML shop and spend another $50 for shooting supplies!).

In the past 10 years, I collected older CVAs as the barrels were usually a 1-66” twist and they didn’t have “Please read instructions before use” written anywhere on them. I’ve also bought a few Traditions. While the fit and finish aren’t bad, I’ve been a little unhappy with other details or the lack of attention to, such as shavings in the lock mortise, a set trigger assembly with a crooked plate, or barrel not pinned all the way in the stock, to name a few.

When I started this hobby (addiction actually, hence the moniker) there were dozens of manufacturers and importers. Now we’re down to mostly Traditions, Lyman, and Pedersoli for sidelocks. Although, Investarms seems to have stepped up their game with the introduction of the “Gemmer” Hawken (formerly Lyman Great Plains Rifle). Ardesa, who makes Traditions has their own models but mostly for the European market.

I’m not a crafty person so building my own has not happened yet even with something as simple as a Kibler kit (my lower back doesn’t like barrels over 38”). It’s nice for folks to have a choice of lesser expensive muzzleloaders to become introduced into the hobby. However, at my age, I sold most of my factory guns and modern unmentionables to afford some nice custom pieces. On the other hand, I used to love beating the guys shooting custom rifles with my cheap production guns!

Thanks!

Walt

P.S.: Harbor Freight was also my best option while raising a family!

Ardesa, who makes Traditions has their own models but mostly for the European market.
No more, this time is over... :(
I challenge you to find an Ardesa/Traditions gun that is not a bottom of stock or drawer: even spare parts we have a lot of trouble to get them, including in Spain: whoever does not know how to repair or rework his parts has no other choice than to buy Pedersoli...... except for some parts in Germany at Artax.de for example: Vorderlader, Sharps, Lee Wiederladen | Artax Vorderlader . Ardesa/Traditions is finished for the European market...

No more, this time is over... :(
I challenge you to find an Ardesa/Traditions gun that is not a bottom of stock or drawer: even spare parts we have a lot of trouble to get them, including in Spain: whoever does not know how to repair or rework his parts has no other choice than to buy Pedersoli...... except for some parts in Germany at Artax.de for example: Vorderlader, Sharps, Lee Wiederladen | Artax Vorderlader . Ardesa/Traditions is finished for the European market...

I only mentioned them (Ardesa) because all I can find online are shops in Europe selling them and videos made by users there, also.

Walt

I understand what you mean and say, on Youtube you can actually see a lot of things, but it is now more the sales of Traditions Firearms in the USA than Ardesa/Traditions in Europe .
In fact the only production is now Pedersoli and a little Chiappa (hard to find) ...... or Dedinski, but there it is very expensive: Finest hand crafted muzzleloaders

Hot take: People that hate Traditions hate poor people and are elitists.

The guns are outstanding value and quality for the money, and can hold their own against just about ANY multi thousand dollar custom. They let working guys do the sport and not go broke. Are they 100% authentic? No, but they’re fun and that’s what counts.

The guns are outstanding value and quality for the money, and can hold their own against just about ANY multi thousand dollar custom. They let working guys do the sport and not go broke. Are they 100% authentic? No, but they’re fun and that’s what counts.
Sounds like the same divide amongst enthusiasts of another very popular type of "unmentionable" doesn't it. 🤔.

I outgrew giving people manure for their choices on how to spend their own money a long time ago.

I don't agree with the hating poor people line. Just because someone may prefer to buy better quality gear, has no bearing on who he may like or dislike. I don't fault someone who can't afford better than Traditions, but at the same time, I feel Traditions produces low quality firearms as compared to others. I don't see how this can be construed as being elitist.

The same could be said the other way as well, People that can't afford better guns must hate those who can afford better!. Looked at another way, it's noone's fault that someone else can or cannot afford something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back