• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions is the "Harbor Freight Tools" of Muzzleloading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Traditions Deer Hunter in .50 cal. Real handy in a tree or stalking through heavy brush. I have killed 9 bucks with 9 shots from 20 to 120 yards. It shoots both PRB's and conicals (Buffalo Ball-et or Hornady's version) into one ragged hole at 50 yards, and the same point of impact. Before he passed, my dad killed his one and only muzzleloader deer with it, said it was a "straight shooting rifle". After putting my kids through Christian school and college, I can now afford more expensive guns, but besides cosmetics, can't say they are better. Cheap, plain rifles are probably a better representation of what folks used back in the day for real purposes, not the museum heir-loom quality stuff that has survived.

I certainly enjoy all of mine.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1631930646627.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631930646627.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 31
Ok who makes/made JUKAR???? Love it when they list Jukar marked MLs as "JUNKER". This name always reminds me of the nipple on a Jukar Pistol embedded in the range roof witha red circle drawn around it and endless admonishments by old timers.

We buy from the Harbor witch supports China, The Russians hate us because we are western and Spain will sell us anything that will go bang. It’s all up in the air, what was the original post. LOL…🙃

How about this. You bring your Traditions, Ill bring my home made. We shoot until malfunction.
There is a C note here says I know who's will quit first.
Lol!!! I have had zero issues with my traditions. I built mine from a kit and know it like the back of my hand. Now if you offered that against a new shooter with little experience, sure youd probably win. I'm still helping experienced shooters fix and get their custom builds to fire.

I've been shooting CVA/Traditions guns since 1979, that is 43 years and many thousands of rounds, never had a malfunction of any kind. I've even let a lot of kids use my guns for deer and small game hunting. Lots of game taken, including doves, turkey, squirrels, rabbits, quail, deer,, etc. but no reports of malfunctions. Well, a kid did malfunction one time, double loaded with powder and ball, on top of another powder and ball load, but he caught it because the ramrod was marked. At this point, I don't have another 40+ years to try and get a malfunction.

Many of us of “advanced yearage” probably got their start using the old Lee whackamole tools. Sometimes, a budget tool is the only way a person can afford to get their foot in the door. Lee molds are some of the best kept secrets out there. Of the more economically priced guns, Traditions are among the best. I’ll also jump onto the great barrel bandwagon. A few of the Harbor Freight tools aren’t worth their salt but not all are bad. Just like guns I suppose. I love my little Crockett rifle. Once I was told how to fix my hammer to make it fire, it is among my most dependable muzzleloaders. With sites like this one to help us out, we have the means to take care of most shortcomings the cheaper priced guns like Traditions may have.
you are bringing back memories, I still use the LEE WACK A MOLE, for some calibers'!

Not familiar with traditions locks- Are they made with or without a bridle? Seem to me that is the real weak spot for long term use. Older CVAs with both bridle and fly seem the better of the low end locks.
I can’t speak for all Traditions locks, but the ones I’ve seen have both a bridle& flys in the tumbler ( for double set triggers), the mainspring. & sear spring are good quality & overall seem to be trouble free AND spare parts are available from vendors.

I can’t speak for all Traditions locks, but the ones I’ve seen have both a bridle& flys in the tumbler ( for double set triggers), the mainspring. & sear spring are good quality & overall seem to be trouble free AND spare parts are available from vendors.

Attachments

• B397B9A5-B2FB-4502-B81D-8FF09812989B.jpeg
    B397B9A5-B2FB-4502-B81D-8FF09812989B.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 36
Ok who makes/made JUKAR???? Love it when they list Jukar marked MLs as "JUNKER". This name always reminds me of the nipple on a Jukar Pistol embedded in the range roof witha red circle drawn around it and endless admonishments by old timers.
Listen to you. Jukar is the company that did the manufacturing for CVA. It's popular among the "hipster" crowd to refer to CVA guns as "Jukar" to try and denigrate them. These are the same goobers who call a flinter a "rocklock" -- when I see that, I generally stop reading that post and move on. Like when I hear some crusty dork start off with "You'd be a damn fool to..." click. Away I go. Don't need more puffy, snarky know-it-all-itis.

As to the nipple in the roof. EXACTLY what were the circumstances? Did Billy-Bob perhaps overload the gun? Was the nipple loose? Were you there? Any of that could happen to a custom gun. Most gun accidents ARE due to operator error. Like all the guys who bring in a loaded gun to the gunsmith and say "Ah loaned it to my brother and he gave it back to be like this." Sure

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back