• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zworld

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys new here but not new to muzzleloading. I bought a Traditions 54 Cal Hawken in the mid 80's that I think is a little unique from the normal Hawken rifles sold back then. I bought this one because it's closer to what a true Hawken's configuration was. I did my research back then. I'll describe it, 54 Cal percussion 32" barrel 1-66 twist two barrel tenons, and it has two inlays on the stock one a half moon, and the other is some kind of scroll where the lock bolt goes through. It was nicely finished. Only thing thats not period is an adjustable rear sight. I should have replaced it to make it more traditional. I would never sell it but I'm very curious as to what something like this is worth? Looks very similar to the great plains rifle, but was made by Traditions. Thanks for any help. Oh and I just looked it was made in Ardesa Spain.

Last edited:
Hi. I live in Spain and I have had an Ardesa Hawken like that, and also a 54 caliber. It is a very accurate weapon with small charges of powder. The barrel groove is not very deep, so it is better to use low loads. I used just 54 grains of 2 FFg and at 55 yards I mounted one shot on top of another. The wood is of good Spanish walnut and the fittings of brass. In Spain in 1994 it cost the current equivalent of just under about $ 300. Greetings from Spain.

That was the Traditions Mountain Rifle. They have had two incarnations. The first ones were basically the same as the CVA Mountain Rifle because they came from Ardessa. At some point in fairly recent history, they acquired the remaining Austin and Halleck Mountain Rifles and sold them under the traditions name. I am not sure if they currently offer a Mountain Rifle. As far as value, $350-500 depending on your market.

Back