• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Hawken Rear Sight Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnyperX

32 Cal
Reaction score
For folks that have built a Traditions Hawken with the rear threaded sight, how did you upgrade the rear sight? I am going with a period type rear sight with a longer base. I have the option of drilling holes in the sight base so I can use the existing holes in the barrel OR doing a dovetail. I decided drilling holes would be easier. Now, I am not sure how to accurately drill the holes in the new rear sight base. I do have a caliper etc, but I don't know the best process for doing this the most accurate way. I have included an image of the base I ordered. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• rs-dru-lct_1.jpeg
    rs-dru-lct_1.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 43
There is a lot to think about when replacing sights, such as mounting system, height above the barrel, widths, and more.

The sight you pictured is intended to be mounted in a dovetail cut into the top flat of the barrel. Cutting a dovetail is precision work. You have to get it square, and of proper length and depth. Tools and supplies needed include good calipers, scratch awl, hacksaw with fine tooth blade, small regular flat file, three cornered file with one safe edge, chinese white (aka engravers white), and barrel refinish chemicals. Search the Forum for instructions. If you can get hold of a discarded octagonal barrel it is a good idea to practice dovetail cutting.

If you screw mount that sight to the top of the barrel you will find the elevation needs to be adjusted by filing to move bullet strikes down. There may not be enough material in the new rear sight to do that. You will probably need a taller front sight to get things centered up. I prefer buying sight from Track Of The Wolf as they list dimensions and especially height above barrel flat in their descriptions.

I don't mean to discourage you, but rather advise that you are getting into somewhat challenging territory.

There is a lot to think about when replacing sights, such as mounting system, height above the barrel, widths, and more.

The sight you pictured is intended to be mounted in a dovetail cut into the top flat of the barrel. Cutting a dovetail is precision work. You have to get it square, and of proper length and depth. Tools and supplies needed include good calipers, scratch awl, hacksaw with fine tooth blade, small regular flat file, three cornered file with one safe edge, chinese white (aka engravers white), and barrel refinish chemicals. Search the Forum for instructions. If you can get hold of a discarded octagonal barrel it is a good idea to practice dovetail cutting.

If you screw mount that sight to the top of the barrel you will find the elevation needs to be adjusted by filing to move bullet strikes down. There may not be enough material in the new rear sight to do that. You will probably need a taller front sight to get things centered up. I prefer buying sight from Track Of The Wolf as they list dimensions and especially height above barrel flat in their descriptions.

I don't mean to discourage you, but rather advise that you are getting into somewhat challenging territory.

Stewart,

Thank you for the detailed reply!! I have all the tools you listed (including the safety edge file). I also have my Dremel with Dremel workstation (mini drill press). I purchased my sights from Track of the Wolf (ordered a few times from them so far). See the attached images of the sights I ordered. Just not sure which would be "easier". If I go with just drilling holes in the rear sight I only risk ruining an $8 sight where is if I attempt a dovetail and mess up I ruin my barrel. In addition the top mount will throw off the sight picture where the dovetail most likely will not.

Attachments

• rs-dru-lct_1.jpeg
    rs-dru-lct_1.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 8
  • fs-cva-60-tb_1.jpeg
    fs-cva-60-tb_1.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 11
Same issue here. I have some Traditions with the metal sights and have a Kit I am building with the plastic sight set. I will NOT use plastic sights on any firearm. I replaced all of my Glock sights with superior metal sights. I have a good workshop and have considered doing the dovetail cut myself. I do know that Traditions provided metal rear sights on some of their pieces. Is this a discontinued practice?

I also have a couple of the Lyman Sights I may consider dove tailing into the Traditions barrel. Quite a project with no turning back.

RMC Ox-Yoke Muzzleloader Supplies​

516 E. Rolling Ridge Drive
Bellefonte, PA 16823

Phone: 814-353-4821
Email: [email protected]

they have 3 sets of sights for that gun. I just ordered the 1/2 peep for my frontier rifle. they fit into the factory dovetails on the gun. I was looking for a front sight then I find them. I may sell the one that came with the gun. it is held in with a alien screw.

I called Traditions direct and was pleasantly surprised that a real person was there to help me. I ordered and received the metal sights from them. Only one screw hole mounting point, but far superior sights to the plastic things that they even said themselves were outfit to save money. Quick shipping.

I called Traditions direct and was pleasantly surprised that a real person was there to help me. I ordered and received the metal sights from them. Only one screw hole mounting point, but far superior sights to the plastic things that they even said themselves were outfit to save money. Quick shipping.
Good deal. When I lived in Connecticut, I visited Traditions, in Old Saybrook several times.
Very nice people there.

Latest posts

Back