• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Gun Parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you may have to rebreech the barrel for a different plug,i have read on here where some people have been able to remove the original breech plug without damagage to the barrel,but i have not,then fit a new tang.I'm sure you will get more and better replys than mine,good luck.
Is it a percussion or flint rifle,I am interested to hear other remarks too.

shifty said:
I think you may have to rebreech the barrel for a different plug,i have read on here where some people have been able to remove the original breech plug without damagage to the barrel,but i have not,then fit a new tang.I'm sure you will get more and better replys than mine,good luck.
Is it a percussion or flint rifle,I am interested to hear other remarks too.

I have successfully removed and installed several, while it can be done it certainly is a pain. They use a machine to essentially drive the plug in, which accompanying the dull tooling used for cutting, the process can be difficult. From my experience, if you've never messed with a breech plug I'd have someone re-breech the barrel.

Hi Guys,
A fellow wants me to install a new barrel and breach plug, and tang to match the older barrel.
He wants a barrel longer than the 28" one he has.
Hence, I am looking for a Traditions Hawken Woodsman breach plug and tang.
So if anyone knows a parts source, it would be much appreciated.
Fred

Old Ford said:
Hi Guys,
A fellow wants me to install a new barrel and breach plug, and tang to match the older barrel.
He wants a barrel longer than the 28" one he has.
Hence, I am looking for a Traditions Hawken Woodsman breach plug and tang.
So if anyone knows a parts source, it would be much appreciated.
Fred
Nobody will sell you one,, it's a patent design that is only done in their shops..
It is possible to use a different breech plug on a new barrel and fit a new corresponding tang to the rifle,, then install a drum as needed,
But you simply can't get the parts to do a Traditions Arms/CVA breech.
You could contact Deer Creek Products as they do have the equipment and license to do that style breech. http://www.deercreekproducts.net/

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have removed and refit breech plugs for the older CVA,s and traditions. It is serious machining and not recommended. I found it easier to simply make a new breech plug. But then, that was before I retired and access to a whole tool room. :idunno: :idunno:

Back