• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Fox River 50 from the auction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykeal

58 Cal.
Reaction score
The second gun I got at the auctions this weekend is marked on the barrel: "Fox River 50 R. 50CL.1-48" on one side and "Traditions,[url] Inc....Made[/url] in Spain" on the other (legalese omitted intentionally). Serial number is 254603. Octagonal barrel, 23" long, blued, blade front sight, v-notch fixed rear sight. It's a half wood stock rifle with no furniture save sling swivels on the butt and forend; the forend swivel is also the barrel attach point - there is no barrel wedge. Cost: $50, in 95% condition.

I can't find any reference to a Traditions Fox River 50 on the internet, at the Traditions web site or in any of the Blue Books. Obviously it's an inexpensive, mass produced rifle, probably retailing new for about $100-$125.

Anybody know anything about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
They were sold by Gander Mountain back in the early 90's.My wife bought one and shot her 1st deer with it when we lived in Oklahoma.She still has it and shoots it now and then.Good little rifle for hunting.Ya did good... :thumbsup:

Thanks, Paul. My neighbor may buy it to use during our muzzleloader season; he'll be glad to know it's taken some deer somewhere.

A couple of months ago I sent an e-mail to Traditions customer service asking about the Fox River model. This is what I got back (good service).

" The Fox River Fifty was an exclusive model that we imported back in 1995 for Gander Mountain. At that time GM sold them for approx. $99 for the blued barrel, beech wood model. They were manufactured by Ardesa, the Spanish firearm manufacturer that makes all of our muzzleloading long rifles and single shot pistols.

Thank you for your interest in Traditions muzzleloading rifles. If we can assist you further in the future, please let us know.

Thanks,

Customer Service - Traditions "

I bought a .50 youth model for my young son back then from The Sportsman's Guide when they liquidated the remaining Gander Mountain stock.
It's similar to the Traditions Deerhunter model except the "sling swivel stud" screws into the barrel to attach it instead of a wedge.
It's a reliable & decent rifle for shooting at moderate range.

Back