• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Have any of you heard of Traditions making a Pennsylvania Flintlock in .45 caliber? I have seen them in .50 but not .45. Might have a chance on buying one and the guy said he thought it was a .45 and was just wondering.

Took a Traditions .36 Shenandoah with a damaged bore and had it rebored to .46. It hangs real nice.
Started out in muzzleloading with a .45 long rifle so it's kinda sorta returning to my beginnings. :)
Best wishes on your search.

No it's a Traditions. I did see that they may a kit gun years ago in .45 but it was never sold to the public.

house said:
Have any of you heard of Traditions making a Pennsylvania Flintlock in .45 caliber? I have seen them in .50 but not .45. Might have a chance on buying one and the guy said he thought it was a .45 and was just wondering.

If it's the Traditions Pennsylvania Longrifle, that was my first flintlock. Although I rarely fire it, I still have it. It came in .50 caliber and was never available in .45 caliber. I use a .490 ball in mine with .015" pillow ticking for a patch. It's very accurate but that darn Roman Nose bruised my cheek many times. To avoid that, turn your nose into the stock and sight out of the inside corner of your eye, or just put your head back a little farther on the stock and sight normally.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

I "fixed" that "Roman Nose" Tradition's stock on my Tradition's Shenandoah (33-inch barrel) Long Rifle... I got tired of having to struggle to get my cheek "down" far enough onto that Roman Nose stock's high-comb in order to align the sights and soooo, I took a rasp and some high-grit sandpaper to that miserably-shaped stock.

After a sound "rasping", I worked that Roman Nose stock "down" to a fairly level stock's comb, then wet the sanded places and continued to use ultra-fine sandpaper to smooth up the bare wood and remove the raised wood's "whisker's" until it worked-for-me and resulted in a very straight stock and comb from the rear of the barrel to the butt-plate.

Of course, then I had to re-stain the stock and rub it out with rottenstone (a mildly-abrasive powder) & oil on a cloth to bring it back in line with the relatively SAME color as the rest of the stock.

Yes, I should just sand-down the whole long stock and wet it down to bring "up" the "whiskers" and sand them down as well until I achieve a hard, solid wooden stock which will take stain evenly and look impressive like I have done with several other gun-stocks, but I'm getting lazy in my old age, so I didn't bother.

The color-match of the newly-sanded stock isn't all THAT "bad" compared to the original kinda "reddish" colored walnut stain, but it isn't a very good "match" either.

Oh, well, at least, now I can get my cheek down on the upper part of the stock and easily align the front and rear iron sights... and that has always been my original goal.

The rifle, itself, shoots really well with the only real limitation being these old eyes of mine. But, HEYYYYY... that's "life" and I can "live-with-it" just fine... plus the rifle puts five .50 caliber Hornady swagged rifle balls one-on-top-of-the-other with only a little displacement among the 5 rifles balls at 50 yards, so I can't really "complain"... and it "works-for-me"!

But I must say that I have never understood WHY Traditions puts that silly "Roman nose" stock on an otherwise decent flintlock rifle. They put that same "Roman nose" stock configuration on their Pennsylvania Long Rifle as well.

Not a single experienced black powder/muzzle-loading rifle shooter I allowed to shoot the rifle could get his cheek "down" on that odd-shaped stock and that's why I finally decided to "create" a new stock-shape.

That said, the Tradition's rifles, themselves, ain't all THAT "bad" for the money for a "starter" muzzle-loading flinter, but that miserable stock configuration makes me "scratch-my-head" in wonderment as to why Traditions continues to offer that stock configuration when they and their customers both could benefit by offering the same rifle with a "normal" stock. :idunno:

Jus' my 2¢... :v

Strength and Honor...

Ron T.

That stock is also a cheek slapper. I hated mine, after 20 rounds or so my right cheek was red swollen and sore from the stock slappen me. I traded the rifle off for a cap lock hawken. I got the better deal. Also for some reason I just could not make that Kentucky shoot. I tried everything. I know it wernt me as I can hit a 10 inch gong off hand at 100 meters near every time with my 54 Lyman Hawken.

The Pennsylvania rifle (Traditions), manufactured in Spain (Ardesa), is manufactured for Spain and Europe in general in 45 caliber.
Saludos.

Hermanoshawken said:
The Pennsylvania rifle (Traditions), manufactured in Spain (Ardesa), is manufactured for Spain and Europe in general in 45 caliber.
Saludos.

That's really interesting. The ONLY caliber the Traditions Pennsylvania Longrifle is available in the US is .50 and they don't even list any other caliber on their web site. The only other flintlock Pennsylvania rifle they offer is the Half-stock Pennsylvania Pellet Rifle and it again is only available in .50 caliber. We are talking about the long rifle heavily decorated with brass inlays with a Roman Nose stock correct?

Here's a link to it on Traditions web site: https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/Pennsylvania-Rifle

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it is. And the bad news is that because of that big Roman Nose it tends to bruise your cheek. I had to make a habit of putting my head farther back on the stock to keep it from slamming the stock into my face when I fired it. Then I started using an old shotgunner's trick of turning my nose in towards the stock and sighting out of the inside corner of my eye instead of tilting my head over it. That way I could mount the gun normally and the recoil would push it past my cheek not into it.

By the way their claim, "holder of the enviable status of 'authentic for re-enactment use' from the American Revolutionary Brigade" is absolute total BULL. There is no such Reenactment Group and this rifle is too heavily decorated to be considered a Rev War gun. It is done along the lines of some of the Golden Age flintlocks (1790-1820). Nonetheless, I did Rev War reenactments with mine for about 5 years before I got one that was more period correct. Most spectators don't know the difference but people who know much about flintlocks at all recognize it right away as a Golden Age gun.

Back