• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Flintlock spark

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Normally I use 5/8x1/2 and I got the numbers mixed up and ordered 1/2W x 5/8L which are longer and skinnier. The traditions hawken woodsman however reacted very well with them! Can't wait to see how well she shoots.

Looks good. I just got a traditions Kentucky. It sparked like that, but the flint chipped itself to a nub in 6 trigger pulls. Any advice on making the flint last?

If you have wooden match sticks or leather lacing, gut a piece of leather or match stick the width of the flint. Place the stick or leather under the back edge of the flint near the jaw screw. that angles the forward edge of the flint downward to be more glancing than smashing. I get better life and sparks with my flints with the leather lacing.

Try the flint both bevel up and bevel down. If neither of those positions is perfect then try the shimming method posted by Grenadier1758.

The 5/8 x 3/4 works in my Kentucky,I just put a hole in the leather, to clear the screw
AAAD1B77-834B-48A1-A32C-BF2C72344E67_1_201_a.jpeg

If you have wooden match sticks or leather lacing, gut a piece of leather or match stick the width of the flint. Place the stick or leather under the back edge of the flint near the jaw screw. that angles the forward edge of the flint downward to be more glancing than smashing. I get better life and sparks with my flints with the leather lacing.
Cool tip. I'm going to give that a whirl.

to keep from smashing flints, I used a small c clamp around the frizzen spring and gently worked it back and forth to weaken the spring a bit. Factory was 7-8lbs easily and would break up flints pretty quickly.

If you want a traditions to spark well(It will never be great) you need to do some work(or buy a L&R replacement)
1st weaken the frizzen spring (I file the outer edge till I get the frizzen to flip over much easier)
2nd polish the frizzen spring wear it contacts the frizzen like glass.
3rd reshape the foot of the frezzen (allowing it to open wider) and smooth+polish the frizzen bearing surface that contacts the spring like glass
4th use a good short sharp flint in leather( hole in middle)

by doing the above your flints last longer and spark much better,
touch up with a flints w a diamond file, wipe the flint& frizzen face with 91% alcohol on a patch (clean fouling off w same when needed )
not necessary I also mirror polish the pan (helps keep things cleaner w a wipe) my traditions flint locks (I have 2 Kentucky, Tenn.)
are almost as reliable as my silers
DSC03300.JPG
DSC03290.JPG

NOW if I could get a better trigger for the Kentucky! I'm open to suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally I use 5/8x1/2 and I got the numbers mixed up and ordered 1/2W x 5/8L which are longer and skinnier. The traditions hawken woodsman however reacted very well with them! Can't wait to see how well she shoots.

On my Traditions Pennsylvania longrifle I always used 5/8" wide. That lock is the size of a pistol lock. Looks like you've found a good combination for your smoke pole!

Does anyone have a solution to Chambers’ Late Ketland locks breaking flints? It’s clearly frizzen rebound.

On my Kentucky the frizzen screw was to tight.
I wonder what would happen if I removed the washer they have on the frizzen and are they all made the same.
498E06DC-4379-425E-8A4A-5C30B1BAEBBD_1_201_a.jpeg

compress your spring and you can test how freely the frizzen moves(that little washer is a pain to get back in TIGHT)
I greased the axal reshaped the foot(to make the pan open wider, allowing use of bigger flints) and polished the contact points on spring and frizzen look at the lower lock it (not a traditions) opens wider I also weakened the spring to help opening less force (I filed the outer edge of the spring)
DSC03300 (2).JPG
lock.jpg

Last edited:
On my Kentucky the frizzen screw was to tight.
I wonder what would happen if I removed the washer they have on the frizzen and are they all made the same.
View attachment 59757
No washer on mine, and the frizzen is pretty sloppy on the bolt shank. I was looking for a small washer to put on it.....

Back