• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Deerhunter - is it worth attempting to improve it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of Traditions rifles. One is a Deerhunter percussion in 32. It is handy and accurate. I have a Shenandoah flintlock in 36. It is finicky and catches more times than it should. The lock gives decent sparks but after three or four shots it becomes hard to get to fire with flashes in the pan. I suspect the patent breech is part of the problem. Anyway, on Lefthandguy's rifle no one suggested checking the touch hole size. Is it 1/16" or smaller. It might be improved by opening it up slightly, especially if less than 1/16". Also does the frizzen spark well with a good flint? If so, then look at other issues to improve reliability. Also, changing the sights is a relatively easy job. If you want to go with something requiring dovetails it is a good place to get some good experience.

Improve on it? No matter what you do to a turd, it's still a turd. Traditions caplocks are OK, but their flinters (in my experience) suck. My suggestion is remove the ramrod and slide a new gun into it, then replace the ramrod the first chance you get.

Nobody who grew up in the UK could read this and not think the same thing:

So my first flintlock - bought during 2016.

Traditions Deerhunter left handed.

Has the wooden stock, rubber buttpad, Williams Fibreoptic sights, plastic ramrod etc

View attachment 46525

It has some things I like and some I don't

I don't like the anachronisms (rubber, plastic, and especially the sights), and the lock isn't very good.

You bought the cheapest production flintlock available. What were you expecting ?

So all that is to say - is it worth trying to make the Traditions rifle into something I really like, or should I just buy something better? I particularly would like to change the sights, but they seem to be screwed rather than dovetailed, and I am far from sure I have the ability to cut dovetails of my own....

No, it is not worth trying to make it better. Even changing the sights is folly if you don't posses the ability to make the alteration. The time and money spent on making the necessary changes would be better spent towards a better more likable weapon.

You bought the cheapest production flintlock available. What were you expecting ?

I had literally no idea what to expect - it may have been the cheapest, but it was also the only flintlock - certainly the only lefthanded one. Now I know more and wish I had known how close I am to Dixons in Mifflinburg PA - I'd have gone there instead. Wish I'd found this forum earlier for that matter.

No, it is not worth trying to make it better. Even changing the sights is folly if you don't posses the ability to make the alteration. The time and money spent on making the necessary changes would be better spent towards a better more likable weapon.

Fair point. If even one of the sights was dovetailed already I'd be within what I know I can undertake, but for actually cutting the dovetail - I lack metalworking tools and experience...

No dovetails needed for replacement sights. Trigger is easily adjusted for a nicer, lighter pull. They are accurate. Like I said earlier, they make fantastic hunting carbines. I don't get the "turd' and "manure" comments on here. It is what it is and should be appreciated for what it is. It is not a HC/PC arm. It is a lightweight, affordable, better made than what some will admit, hunting carbine.

What Kansas Jake says is really appropriate here. If you WANT a nicer arm and can afford it, then by all means purchase one. However you may not NEED a nicer arm depending on your shooting needs. Just remember pretty guns don't fill the freezer any better than ugly ones. If you want to get into reenacting or some of the stricter rondys then you will have to purchase a more appropriate arm. If it's just a sights and ignition issue, then let's get the gun fixed up for you.

I think the Deerhunter is a perfectly fine gun for what it is. Not an hc/ pc piece, nor a custom gun, but a simple, functional, inexpensive introduction to the world of muzzle loading firearms. Many of us started on similar rifles and they do have their place. I’ve also found that I really enjoy the form factor of a carbine/ short rifle to carry in the woods. Nothing wrong with the gun and I would argue that if it can be an inexpensive first shooting experience, then it could be an inexpensive first gunsmithing experience as well. That would allow to learn to make the changes you want without risking a mistake on a more costly or sentimental gun.

Thanks to everybody who's replied to me with opinions and suggestions - they are all useful in helping me decide what to do next.
Sell it to your brother in law that doesn't have a clue, put the funds towards a better one and chock it up to learning. I've done the same thing. I just remember my dad always told me, "Never buy a cheap guitar." As my family was big into playing music, we learned in a hurry what he meant. That advice goes for just about anything.

I have a couple of Traditions rifles. One is a Deerhunter percussion in 32. It is handy and accurate. I have a Shenandoah flintlock in 36. It is finicky and catches more times than it should. The lock gives decent sparks but after three or four shots it becomes hard to get to fire with flashes in the pan. I suspect the patent breech is part of the problem. Anyway, on Lefthandguy's rifle no one suggested checking the touch hole size. Is it 1/16" or smaller. It might be improved by opening it up slightly, especially if less than 1/16". Also does the frizzen spark well with a good flint? If so, then look at other issues to improve reliability. Also, changing the sights is a relatively easy job. If you want to go with something requiring dovetails it is a good place to get some good experience.

The touchhole liner is whatever was OEM to the rifle - which I confess I haven't ever measured - I do take it out when I deepclean the rifle.

The frizzen sparks well whenever I suspect it of not sparking well!I started out with Traditions branded flints bought with the rifle, and traded up to TOTW ones. Knapped English in both cases.

The lock has a new spring this season - it broke on me in January on a very, very cold day (naturally with a deer in my sights!). Much to my surprise Traditions sent me a replacement foc which gave me my one real "lockdown project". Not having a spring vise I had to rebuild the lock using pliers. Next time Ill buy a spring vise first!

Broken_Spring.JPG

Sell it to your brother in law that doesn't have a clue, put the funds towards a better one and chock it up to learning. I've done the same thing. I just remember my dad always told me, "Never buy a cheap guitar." As my family was big into playing music, we learned in a hurry what he meant. That advice goes for just about anything.

I would - but he's right handed...

Carefully drill the flash hole in the liner out to 1/16" to start. Should improve ignition. Maybe try an Ampco flash hole liner also drilled out to 1/16". There are many factors that have little to nothing to do with the quality of the lock when it comes to ignition speed. Sharp flint, bevel up/bevel down, clean and dry frizzen, clean and dry pan, clean and dry liner face, vent pick in or out while loading, prime banked towards or away from flash hole, etc, etc, etc.

but it was also the only flintlock - certainly the only lefthanded one.
Southpaws have a rough time of it, but there are more left handed guns out there than you might think. Use you experiences to move you forward, not backwards.

Free advice, worth what you pay for it.

Anyone tried the Lee minie molds in the Deerhunter? If it's a "deer hunting" gun that's wanted then a hollow based bullet should have plenty of what you need. Too bad that Lyman doesn't make a thick skirted bullet mold for the 48" twist guns.

Latest posts

Back