• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions deer hunter for $50.00

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Let me say right off the bat, I'm not a fan of Traditions guns. I work with a guy who knows I shoot muzzleloaders. He said to me he has a flintlock he wanted to sell. He asked if I was interested. He didn't say what make and model. All he said was "I'll take $50.00 bucks for it. I said "sold", and to bring it in. Next day he brings in a Traditions deer hunter with the black plastic stock, plus a box with a bunch of accessories that he didn't mention.

The contents of the accessory box are probably worth more than $50 bucks. There was a small flask with 2fg powder in it, an almost full box of 50 caliber balls, patches a nice brass powder measure, a brass priming powder container, and a bunch of various small items, patch worm, ball pullers, two ball starters, etc.

For $50 bucks I am not going to refuse any gun. It's not in great shape, but the bore is clean. It was actually loaded which I told him about the next day. He didn't even remember the last time he fired it. After I got it home, I cleaned the pan with a brush, and dribbled some priming powder into the flash hole and walked outside and it went off on the first trigger pull. I cleaned it up and asked my son if he wanted it for a backup foul weather gun. He promptly said "sure".

Last edited:
I got a Traditions Woodsman 50 cal percussion from a gun dealer that I buy a fair amount of stuff. He took it in trade but doesn’t like dealing with muzzleloaders. Got it for 100. Bore was dirty and had some rust in the bore but it shoots well and reliably.

A friend brought one of those over to the house that he had just bought so I could show him how to load and fire a flintlock. It was surprisingly accurate and went off quickly and reliably.

Traditions Deerhunters and old CVA guns like the Mountain Stalker and Bobcat maybe lower end guns but they do work.
And the Mountain Stalker has a faster twist rate which is ideal for conical.

I moved a pristine bore Mountain Stalker 54cal 1:38 twist 26" barrel onto a CVA Frontier Hunter laminate stock I picked up, put a musket nipple on it and Williams Firesight Ghost ring set.

It fires every time, is deadly accurate with the CVA 375 gr conical I got from Deer Creek and makes a great hunting rifle. Nothing to turn your nose up at.

Nice :ghostly:!

The GOOD - Got a similar deal from a local/modern gun shop, only $25 … and on my way out the door, the clerk said “Hey, here’s a box of stuff to go with it!” Like you, the accessories were worth $$ …

The BAD - I was soooooooo hasty pulling that $$ out if my pocket that I never checked the barrel! Back at home I pulled TWO loads out of the barrel … Pryrodex pellets and a cut agate stone in the cock.

… and the shop Owner had said people were ‘sparking’ it in the store …

My dad has a percussion one! He loves that it’s light, goes bang and is accurate!!

I've owned two Traditions rifles I liked a lot. One was a .32 Crockett, a devastator of squirrels. The other was a .50 DeerHunter that was accurate & handy and killed deer for me during the 20 years I owned it. Both had wood stocks and were as reliable as the sunrise. Traditions muzzleloaders are about the best one can get for the money. I'd never turn one down.

My problem with Traditions flintlocks, are the dinky little locks themselves. They have very little clearance between the cock and the frizzen. If you don't use just the right flint, you'll have a half cock situation where the flint will rest on the frizzen and not allow it to seal properly against the pan. My son's other Traditions does this, even with the usage of 5/8inch flints. I'm just too used to my Siler, and L&R locks where you can use some pretty decent sized flints and still have room at half cock for the frizzen to close properly.

I need to come across a deal like this! Right now everything is expensive in PA since we are currently in our flintlock season. Maybe this summer, prices will get better. Great deal though! I always love a good project gun.

Back