• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Crockett or other 32 cal gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Gardner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody with any experience with the Crockett? I am interested in a .32 for plinking, rabits and tree rats. What other small cal. guns would you consider?

Thanks.

doublegun I have a 32 crockett my best load is22 gr pyrodex p #11 ccimag caps .310rb with .018 pillow ticking fun and accurate
weasel

I used to have a Crocket 32 cal. Fun lil gun & it shot 1/2" groups at 25 yards right out of the box. 25 gr of 3F Goex, .015 pillow ticking, Lehigh Lube & .310 Hornady RB. Also shot great with 20 gr of Swiss.

I have the rifle and pistol. the rifle shoots well with 10 grs. 3f and a .310 ball but the pistol never has shot very well. Fun gun though for what you had in mind.

I don't know if Dixie still markets them but I used to own a Dixie Tennesse Mountain Rifle in 32 cal., flint, and it was a tack driver, just kinda clunky lookin' for a 32. From what I've seen of the Crockett it is a pretty rifle.

Vic

I have a Traditions Deer hunter in 32 cal.You can hit a squirrel in the eye if you want at 30 yrds. 22 gr.BP PRB works. Rocky

I think the real question is, could he hit a squirrel in the eye at 90 feet?
rolleyes.gif

I am building a non traditional 32 caliber. I bought a Mark DeHaas barrel and a Bailles style lock and set trigger and a large piece of walnut. as I write this I am whittleing the stock. All of the precarved stocks are too thick, clunky looking, for a 6 pound gun.

As I read other posts I am stuck by the variation in loads. 7-8 grains to 25 grains, could it be that the the 25 grain shooters are blowing powder out the muzzle?

Also some use buckshot, anyone with any experience in using buckshot in a .32.

I use single 0 buckshot in my 32. It's great! I buy if in 5 pound bags, cost you about $9.95 + SH. You'll get about 750 rounds. What a deal! Since they are bore size .320 you do have to use a thin patch for field use. When I'm at the range, I use a mallet to tap it in.

Slowpoke

quote:Originally posted by Slowpoke:
I use single 0 buckshot in my 32. It's great!0 buckshot isn't made of pure lead, is it?

I thought comercial "shot" was made of something like #2 alloy...

I guess it doesn't matter, the patch keeps the ball from touching the riflings...

What is the ball weight of the 0 buckshot?

Musketman About hitting the tree rat in the eye, after reading on an other post that some people eat the head and the eyes, I am going to quit that.Got five rabbit yesterday with my caplock 20 ga. Shot them all in the head or some where ahead of the tail..Rocky

Rocky:
The trick to do is to scare the squirrel to death, so none of the meat is ruined...

I do this by superimposing a picture of my ex-wife on each round ball...

They see it coming and jump to their deaths...

When my wife would complain about me shooting squirrels in the head I would tell her that with muzzleloaders the ball doesn't move as fast as with modern bullets, and the ball being larger is easier for the squirrel to see coming. The squirrel thinks the bullet is a horse fly and tries to catch it and is thereby stuck in the head.

A Happy 2004 to all of you.

The weight of a #0 buck (.32 dia) is 49.35 grains per Dixie Catalog.
At otter be enouf fer a tree rat but it do seem a lil lite fer a turkey.

quote:Originally posted by 'zonie:
At otter be enouf fer a tree rat but it do seem a lil lite fer a turkey. I think it'll take a turkey just fine, I know people that use a .22 Hornet (loaded with a FMJ bullet) on turkeys with no problems, a .32 caliber muzzleloader has a heavier projectile and the same velocity as the Hornet.

So get out there and shoot your turkey...

Remember, "Vegetarian" is an old Indian word meaning "I don't hunt so good."

The Hornady single 0 buck that I buy from Track of the Wolf is 98.74 pure lead. I had a buddy of mine test it for me. Believe this or not the highly impurity was gold. You can easily dent it with your finger nail which is good enough. The "pure" lead that I get from Doe Run is 99.26.... not much different from the hornady stuff.

Slowpoke

I also have a Deerhunter in .32. It is almost new as I only got to shoot it a few times before my range got shut down for the winter. Though I did manage to get one squirrel, accuracy hasn't been what it should be. I've been using 35 gr of 3f and you guys seem to be using in the low 20's. Do you think 35 gr is too much?
grin.gif

Their is much to be learned by looking at early blackpowder cartridges: .32-20, .44-40, .45-70, and such like.

Back