• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Crocket rifle in iron

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I be buying a crocket next on my buying list..
Midway had them on sale and there was a member that was selling one for another member that got sick for a pretty reasonable price if I remember right. I would have bought the one from the group but I had already ordered from Midway.

Finally got around to working on a Crockett kit that I bought a couple of months ago. I'm going to defarb the barrel and thinking about having "JC Higgins" signature engraved on the barrel. I've got a friend that I hunt with and he is a big collector for just about anything that Sears sold with the J.C. Higgins signature. The conversation has come up more than once, it would have been nice if they would have made a J.C. Higgins muzzleloader. i know the first time I bring it along for a squirrel hunt, he's going to say, hey is that a new one? What brand is that? and I'll say, why it's a J.C. Higgins of course.;)View attachment 161480
Your friend would love my old 12 gauge then. A genuine JCH.

Finally got around to working on a Crockett kit that I bought a couple of months ago. I'm going to defarb the barrel and thinking about having "JC Higgins" signature engraved on the barrel. I've got a friend that I hunt with and he is a big collector for just about anything that Sears sold with the J.C. Higgins signature. The conversation has come up more than once, it would have been nice if they would have made a J.C. Higgins muzzleloader. i know the first time I bring it along for a squirrel hunt, he's going to say, hey is that a new one? What brand is that? and I'll say, why it's a J.C. Higgins of course.;)View attachment 161480
J C Higgins 2.5 scope on a CVA .54 caliber Grey wolf

Attachments

• 20220911_101311.jpg
    20220911_101311.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220911_101342.jpg
    20220911_101342.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Not to throw gas on fire BUT, but have any of you small bore shooters ever tried triple7 substitute b/p? I used it in an older T/C Hawkin & it was terrific to clean !! JUST A THOUGHT!
That's the one BP substitute I have never tried. I always used Pyrodex in my inlines and tried a few others that burned like the Jim Shockley stuff and Clean Burn. I am trying to stick with regular BP when I can find it.

Ship the barrel to me and I can laser engrave it.

Ship the barrel to me and I can laser engrave it.
Thanks for the offer, but there is an outfit close by that has a large pantograph machine that they say can etch or cut a good engraving as long as I provide a crisp copy of the signature. I'm still trying to get the finish I want on the stock to look halfway decent. Beech is definitely a "Beech" to finish, lots tougher than walnut or maple. Even after conditioning the stock wood, there are spots on the end grain where it still wants to turn black. Heck, I might just finish it in OD green and call it close enough for government work 😁 .

Thanks for the offer, but there is an outfit close by that has a large pantograph machine that they say can etch or cut a good engraving as long as I provide a crisp copy of the signature. I'm still trying to get the finish I want on the stock to look halfway decent. Beech is definitely a "Beech" to finish, lots tougher than walnut or maple. Even after conditioning the stock wood, there are spots on the end grain where it still wants to turn black. Heck, I might just finish it in OD green and call it close enough for government work 😁 .
Yep, the beech wood is tough and I never figured out how to keep from having those bleached spots. I was surprised how good the stock on my Crocket looks. I'm pretty sure its not beech.

Yep, the beech wood is tough and I never figured out how to keep from having those bleached spots. I was surprised how good the stock on my Crocket looks. I'm pretty sure its not beech.

Traditions describes the stock as a walnut-finished select hardwood.

Stain blotching can be prevented via pre-treating the wood:

I might be wrong, but from what I understand, all of Traditions stocks, especially the Crockett, Hawken, and Kentucky are Beech whether they be factory finished or kit. It's not going to look too bad, but I hate that I can't control the dark, almost black spots. From the grip to the butt it looks good, but under the forearm and several areas along the forearm there are dark areas about 1/4" wide to 3" to 4" long. I'm about ready to finish it up and let it go. I've done enough sanding and scraping where I'm to the point I could have finished several pieces of furniture.

Yep, I conditioned the stock and still got a few blotches, re-sanded, scraped, conditioned again and still got the same results. Seems the blotched areas are more like pithy sapwood.

Thank you for the video. That will save me a ton of work on my KY rifle kit I will be doing this winter. I can't believe it's as simple as that.

Marlin made their 336A models using Beech or Birch wood, to save a little money I suppose. It didn't look too bad after being stripped, sanded and stained with a few top coats of finish.

Just wanted some input on a new Traditions Crocket rifle (not a kit) that should be delivered in a day or two. I know that they are not historically correct reproductions, so I was thinking of changing the brass to a grey or dark steel color. I use to do K&G Gunkote when I was a smith, so it wouldn't be that hard of a project. All my ML have brass and I think the change would look good. What say yea?
A Google search for "Vincent" Rifle should produce a historically correct version of the "Crockett" which looks nothing like anything Davy would have owned. His would have been a Flintlock and most likely a full stock!

Walt

A Google search for "Vincent" Rifle should produce a historically correct version of the "Crockett" which looks nothing like anything Davy would have owned. His would have been a Flintlock and most likely a full stock!

Walt
That's interesting. The Traditions Crocket isn't all that far off from the Vincent, but like you mentioned the rifle Davey Crocket owned was a full stock flinter. My how things get turned around over time with tale tells. I bet in the end he wished he would have kept his rifle instead of buying a horse to go courting. Thanks for the information and pointing me in the right direction.

Back