• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions .54 Deerhunter lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaf Smith

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello... my traditions .54 percussion rifle lock just won't say cocked safely.

Where would I go to get a new lock for this rifle? It has a wooden stock and I'd just like to get the whole lock 'drop in'.

Thanks!

You should contact Traditions, in Old Saybrook, Connecticut. Maybe they can send you a replacement lock.
Next best thing would be to contact The Gun Works/Muzzleloading Emporium.
They should be able to help you out.

As a side note, have you taken the lock off to inspect it?
It could be full of gunk and just need a good clean and light oil.
Yes I took the lock off and tried several ways.. totally cleaned it, backed off the sear adjustment screw, put in new sear spring... if it is off the gun it works perfect, screw it in and it does not work. And yes I looked real hard a the wood inletting to see if there was a flaw that somehow blocked it.

But thanks... first I'll see if I can find a lock... last recourse to contact Traditions... they seem to now make it anymore.

Yes I took the lock off and tried several ways.. totally cleaned it, backed off the sear adjustment screw, put in new sear spring... if it is off the gun it works perfect, screw it in and it does not work. And yes I looked real hard a the wood inletting to see if there was a flaw that somehow blocked it.

But thanks... first I'll see if I can find a lock... last recourse to contact Traditions... they seem to now make it anymore.
More than likely, you will find that you are overtightening the tang bolt and pulling the trigger group too deeply into the trigger mortise. A shim under the trigger plate will lower the trigger levers to clear the sear arm. Don't think there is a need for a new lock.

Did you have a look at the little screw which regulates the penetration of the sear in the notch of the tumbler ? Here is the only real problem I know with the Traditions Firearms is this one...

(click on picture)
sear.jpg

Back