• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am thinking about buying a pistol either flint or cap to backup my rifle during deer season. Have been looking at Traditions Trapper and their Kentucky. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks for any info.

The tradition Kentucky is just fine. To assure it firing when you need it to I would choose percussion. Mine is very accurate and about 10 years old now. So if the barrels haven't changed you're in business.

I've shot a Traditions Trapper percussion for a few years. It is very accurate and the set trigger really makes a difference, at least for me. I do wipe the bore between shots or the accuracy goes south quickly on this pistol. I looked at the Lyman Plains pistol a while back and they get great reviews. But I realized I won't shoot it any better than the Trapper, so I saved the money for powder and caps. :)

Jeff

You need to handle both. They are much different in the hand. I personally prefer the feel of the Kentucky but it does not have the set trigger. You will have to decide on your own personal preference, hard to do if you are ordering. Best of luck, but at least they are both fine pistols.

I like the CVA Hawken pistol but the sights are atrocious [change 'em]. It is also a handful but its weight allows for a steadier sight picture and heavier loads without excessive recoil. Polecat.0

this thread sorta got me thinkin about a Kentucky. Here is a quick mod I found on youtube, one that anyone can do if they have a dremmel or something to cut a drill bit with.

Latest posts

Back