• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions .45 cal Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squatch84

40 Cal
Reaction score
Since photobucket no longer hosts and my old thread has no more pics thought I would make a new one.
This rifle started off life as a Traditions kit way back in 2014 and then had an accident out of a treestand in 2016. After some time and parts using the original barrel, liner, trigger and sights I went on to try and produce a rifle based on a gunsmith named Frederick Sheetz, from Winchester, Va. WP_20170417_15_06_05_Pro_zps8sbzoby0.jpgWP_20170417_15_07_23_Pro_zpsakegyqs2.jpgWP_20170417_15_07_32_Pro_zpsts5gyfzb.jpg

Is the stock carved from a blank? That is amazing!!!
No I'm not quite skilled enough to work from a blank, it was a non inletted John Armstrong from TOTW. I got non inletted so that I could still use a smaller lock and get everything lined up correctly.

The part of this that bugs me is Traditions could or should take your fine work as an example, retool their shaping machine and actually make a proper looking rifle.

All the assembly kit makers could turn stuff out shaped as historically correct as Jim Kibler if they wanted to and at very little added expense. Of course they would still be using the same hardware as they always have but what they pass off as Kentucky rifle now is not even close.

Very nice! So it's a new stock with all the original hardware, lock and barrel from the Traditions?
The lock, trigger guard and thimbles are not traditions. I didn't want to use the thimbles because of the way they attached. The triggerguard was damaged in the fall when the wrist snapped. The lock I just went ahead and replaced for one that looked like one that Frederick Sheetz used. Still have the Traditions lock though.

Latest posts

Back