• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions .32 Crockett kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan Grotheer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I've been wanting a .32 for a long time to chase bushytails with and managed to snag a traditions crockett rifle kit today for $140 (feeling pretty good about that).
My questions are actually concerning the caliber. I've heard that the caliber is very foul prone due to the small bore and has to be swabbed after every shot, so, before I order shooting supplies, should I look at only the patched round ball, or would a ballet for conical prove more practical for hunting in the woods with the small caliber?

Any other things I should know about the caliber are welcome as well.

Thanks for your time!

snag a traditions crockett rifle kit today for $140

REPENT!

Mine is a fouler :idunno: Many others say no issues and I believe I could learn to do better. If issues just swab, makes it more accurate and takes a minute. GOOD FIND. PM me to get outta the deal and clear your conscious (and make an extra $35.00 :grin: )

Never had a problem with fouling, and I have four .32's. A good tight ball fit with lubed patch and 15-25 grains of 3f will get you alot of shooting. I swab the bores of my .32 about every 3rd shot, but i really don't have to, it is just force of habit. At the range I have shot as many as 30 shots in a row with out swabbing.

X2 on no real fouling problems. I have a Traditions 32 Deerhunter that I shot last week. I only put 6 rounds through it and didn't swab between shots. I used a .310 round ball, spit lubed pillow ticking patch and 17 grains 3f BP. It loaded easily and the last loading was as easy as the first.

I have loaded both 777, and 3fg in my Crockett and neither load required swabbing between shots. I have not tried Black MZ but it is reported to leave even less fouling...”¦..robin :hmm:

One more for no issues with fowling in my CVA Varminter in .32 :thumbsup:

I was using Hornady Natural Lube but can not get it any more. shooting 20 grains of Goex 3F cause its a flinter (used to be a percussion). Could shoot bunnies or tree rats all day with out swabbing.

No need for a conical, the RB is good medicine on small game!

I will clarify my having swabbing issues. That is shooting dry patchs (Dutchs system). Shooting with any powder and lubing with hornady blk pwdr solvent and patch lube I too have zero issues. I get about 1/2 the group size with dry patching though so I dont mind swabbing :grin:

They foul terribly! You'ld be better off sending me that kit for $180.00 and easing your conscious... :doh:

Baha! Thanks for all of the generous offers, but I've already finished the stock and blued the barrel (Let's just say I have some learning to do in that department). I went ahead and purchased round balls and both pillow ticking that I'll lube with bore butter and some wonder lubed cotton patches. I've actually never used cotton patches, but I figured I'd give them a shot. Provided that all the parts needed really are in the kit and my supplies arrive on time, I should be taking her to the woods this weekend.

One more question?

What's your most common round ball charge? It's looking like 20-25 grs is the common theme.

10 grains will explode a squirrel head just like a .22 mag. Play with it and use what it wants. Mine likes 10-15 gr and like I say ya just dont need a bigger pattern on the ol tree trunk :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back