• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions .32 cal. crockett rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have shot at coyotes with the .32 in the past, and most of them have gone about 50 to 75 yards even with thru and thru shots in the chest.

Huh. I don't understand how this could be "not enough gun". Unless 'yotes are weak animals, this would be decent performance for a deer rifle.

A coyote can cover 50 to 75 yards in way less than 10 seconds. Therefor I would consider that a very clean, humane kill.

As I stated; I consider the .32 adequate if the range is kept to 30 yards or under, and even then I have found that the yotes can run a fair distance with a lethal chest wound. I like to recover my coyotes for the pelts. A coyote can disappear in 50 yards or so and unless there is a good blood trail or snow on the ground they may not be recovered.

15 gr of 3F seems to be THE load for the 32. I started at 20 and worked up. Never could get any accuracy with a PRB from 2 different .32's.

After reading some old threads a little while back, I tried my current .32 with 15 grains, shoots like a champ.

I've had more than one of these Crockett rifles, 1:48 twist works for balls, but I shot maxi balls in mine with superb accuracy. 30Grs FFFG, no over powder card. Just saying....

I wished they'd make it 36 cal, I'd already have one.

It's just me, but I don't want a 32 cal.

I have just acquired a 1975 copy of Ralph Walker's 'Black Powder Gunsmithing'. Ralph was old enough then to remember the final end of the traditional muzzle loading rifle in use as a hunting tool when he was working in his grandfather's gunsmith shop in the 1930's.

He commented: 'The rifles were predominantly .32 and .36 caliber, some around .40 with .45 caliber and larger in the minority'. He went on to comment: 'Even the .36 is too large for small game. The .30 caliber round ball is about ideal'. He discounted fears of fouling in small bores as: 'I cannot remember a single time when this was a problem, even after a dozen or more shots'.

Got my New Crockett today. Can't figure why only 1 lock screw instead of the ususal 2, this is my third Crockett btw. Like the wood rammer, much quieter than that brass one, still a beaut to hold, although they cut a few corners on the newer ones. Instead of the forward lock screw, there is a wood screw on the right side front of the lock. Probably an easy fix, that tiny wood screw won't last long if the gun sees a lot of shooting.

IMO, that little screw is not under any stress at all when the gun is shot so a wood screw should not have any problems being used.

By the time percussion guns were being made, one lock screw was rather common with no front lock screw at all being used.

Nice rifles and I hear good things about their accuracy and overall performance as a squirrelsman's piece.

However the styling (like all Traditions brand rifles) leaves something to be desired. The Crockett is not based on any rifle design from the 19th century. It is a purely modern fantasy design.

Went to the range with the Crockett this morning. Accuracy was better with Maxi bullets than with PRB, 20grs FFFG triple7 for both ball and Maxi. Gotta say this, as this is my 3rd such rifle, corners were cut in it's manufacture. However....she shot very well, all shots on the paper at 50yds. More work to do next trip, really want to improve accuracy with PRB, just seems right. At any rate, need a more powerful range scope!!! Can hardly see the holes! :) BF

Is the Crockett rifle an import, maybe from Investarms? It seems to be higher grade than the Hawken style rifles.

Jim

Have a Traditions Deer Hunter in .32. Yeah, I know the name is stupid for the caliber. Couldn't find a Crockett when I was looking. Empty 223 case holds 25 gr of 3F and will shoot minute of ground squirrel head at 40 yds. Hit a squirrel in the rib cage and it is already gutted when you get to it.

I know what you mean. I have one too. Got it cheap on clearance. If I knew they would quit making them I would have got one or two more. They made the same in 50 cal. Wish I had the barrel so I could swap back and forth.

Me too. I have one I picked up at a gun show a couple of years ago for $80. Nice little gun and accurate. I use about 12 grains of 3f for squirrels. It is accurate to about 25 yards with that load.

Back