• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditional vs Plastic

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Fitzgibbon

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Fellows I have never owned a plastic muzzle loader
& never will.But my question is, up to a 100 yards
will our ole guy's shoot as accerate?????

Fly :idunno:

Nope.

and yep.....

If you wanted to compete at 100yd bullseye targets where 1/32" can make a difference, the modern guys have us beat, hands down. You can't really compare the two. Many modern front stuffers are capable of sub-MOA groups

But....

If you're talking hunting, a PRB is easily capable of hitting, and grouping within, a deer's vital-size area at 100yds. A lot of shooters are capable of scary accuracy with a PRB (I ain't one of 'em!) but pound-for-pound, a s***t is going to be inherrently more accurate.

Sorry. :idunno:

Fly
I suppose if someone who had one of the new style guns really worked up a good load for it, it might beat the old style traditional rifles but, IMO that is only because of the sighting system those guns use.

If equipped with iron sights only I seriously doubt that they would do any better than our traditional rifles.

Now, if the shooters of those guns that I've seen in action represent the typical accuracy of those guns they couldn't hold a candle to us.

I have yet to see any of them put 5 consecutive shots into the black at 50 yards let alone 100.

They are always amazed when I poke not 5 but 10 consecutive shots into the black at 50 yards.

Zonie I have never seen one shoot.I would think
it would be the barrel,twist, bullet & powder
that would make all the difference in ether
rifle.

But being I have never been around them I really
can't comment.

Fly :v

Since military sniper rifles are now being made of composite plastic, instead of old fashioned wood, it can be assumed that plastic, at least theoretically, is more accurate than wood.

I think the bigger question is are there any plastic stocked M/L rifles being made now that are more accurate, or as accurate, as some of the wooden stocked one? If you consider some of the custom rifles built by the best gunbuilders around, some of them here on this forum, well, it's not even close. I really don't think those CVA bobcat and plastic stocked T/C designers put alot of emphasis on built in accuracy. Plus, I doubt if they would know where to start. :rotf: They build guns they think will sell, bottom line.

Also, like Zonie alluded to, the guys who buy those kinds of guns tend to be the more sloppy shooters, as compared to a guy who will fork out big bucks for a custom wooden rifle.

If you ever get a chance to read up on some the gunmakers and target shooters of the late 19th century, You'll be amazed at the knowledge and skill these guys posessed. Incredibly small groups at 1000 yards! Hard to believe those were done with handmade muzzleloaders, but these guys really knew what they were doing.

So my answer to your question is, you need to consider the whole package to decide wheather plastic is more accurate than wood, and that includes the shooter. Bill

The accuracy is in the barrel. BUT, shooting accurately involves all the rest of the parts of a gun, and the shooter. Give a skilled shooter a gun with an average barrel, and he will probably beat most of us at any shoot we hold. He's simply more consistent with all the other skills required to shoot ANY gun well.

The plastic and composite material stocks are capable of being more stable. But, most of the current Sniper rifles have "pillar bedding" in them, so that the barrel is Not actually touching the stock- no matter what material is used to make the stock. They also use more powerful scope sights on them that will be found on most hunting rifles, and the reticles in the scopes are different, as are the adjustments.

Apples vs. Oranges.

I know a man who made his own Slug Gun, and has a 500 yd. Target that has 10 shots in a group that measures 5.26". 7 of those shots are in a group that is no more than 3.5 inches across, with the remaining three shots all touching,about 1.5 inches from the nearest edge of the other group. That .69 caliber rifle is more than capable of shooting sub-minute of angle groups. The scope on the gun is 46 power, BTW, also made by the owner.

There is a place for plastic or "synthetic stocks, but not on a Traditional Muzzleloading rifle, In My Humble Opinion. Others have different thoughts.

Fly said:
Fellows I have never owned a plastic muzzle loader
& never will.But my question is, up to a 100 yards
will our ole guy's shoot as accerate?????
Are you talking about a plastic stocked sidelock or an inline?

Well I'm talking inline muzzle loaders,SORRY.When
I said plastic I was just being,Hummmmmm :blah: .

So lets talk inline Muzzle loaders, not sniper,
or AR16 or any of that please.My mistake.

Fly :hmm:

I am often struck by the vehemence against plastic stocks by many shooting 'traditional muzzle loaders'. Yet glass bedding of 'traditional' muzzle loading rifles seems to be widely accepted. Personally I don't see a lot of difference.

David

Got a flintglock that goes bang every time. No more accurate than any other. But, that's not percussion.

Well yes the inlines with sabots are more inherently accurate than any roundball gun and much more accurate at longer ranges. But that is true only if the shooter knows what he is doing and has gone through the work to find an accurate load. One budy has a T/C Encore .50 caliber which is very accurate but he said he really had to try out lots of different bullets before finding one which shot well. Another hunting friend has a different T/C inline, didn't do the work, and missed an elk at 30 yards.
Like Zonie said, I've gone to the range and found the ground littered with those plastic gas seals from "Powerbelt" bullets and seen a target left behind with holes everywhere, some even clear off the paper. The inlines appeal to those who don't care to do the work, and think they can just buy a rifle with the accessories in a clamshell package and go hunting. Since they know nothing of muzzleloaders they don't expect them to be accurate or reliable and never consider it might be all their own fault.

Since your question asked "up to 100 yards" I would definately say that traditional are as accurate as the new style @#$% guns. Where the difference comes in is scopes vs open iron sights, prb vs saboted slugs. The europeans shoot traditional slug guns (such as the gibbs) at ranges up to 1000 meters with extreme accuracy. :idunno: :idunno:

Fly said:
Well I'm talking inline muzzle loaders,SORRY.When
I said plastic I was just being,Hummmmmm :blah: .

So lets talk inline Muzzle loaders, not sniper,
or AR16 or any of that please.My mistake.

Fly :hmm:

Forum rule .2
We do not discuss modern (in-line) muzzleloading firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back