• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional ML hunting in CA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Santa Rosa, and have properties in Greenview in Siskiyou county. The wife will never live in Greenwiew, so I travel somewhat.
I've hunted on horseback in my younger day the Marbles from the Shackleford TH and hunted west of I-5 clear to Seiad.

I'm not even necessarily looking for round ball. Just something that I can legally use to hunt with in CA
I must have missed this.
If your rifle can stabilize sabots then the Barnes, Lehigh or pure copper Hornady will do just fine methinks. There are others, but these are the ones I know of. Hard to find right now though.

I must have missed this.
If your rifle can stabilize sabots then the Barnes, Lehigh or pure copper Hornady will do just fine methinks. There are others, but these are the ones I know of. Hard to find right now though.
Before Zonie shows up, from The Rules: "9: We do not discuss copper and/or jacketed, plastic/polymer tipped bullets, sabots, power belts, or other 'plastic-wrapped' bullets. Smoothbores using plastic wads and steel shot are an exception to this rule. "

wm

Before Zonie shows up, from The Rules: "9: We do not discuss copper and/or jacketed, plastic/polymer tipped bullets, sabots, power belts, or other 'plastic-wrapped' bullets. Smoothbores using plastic wads and steel shot are an exception to this rule. "

wm
Ah so! Un fortunatley then the members from the state of California can and will not be able to discuss most hunting in our state as far as loads go . All hunting with lead or un approved projectiles no matter the substance is banned in the state.

Buzz

I must have missed this.
The calif . dept of wildlife has a list of approved projectilels, no others may be used.
When you are hunting you must if asked show and prove that your load is legal or suffer the consequences.

Buzz

I've never been to nor do I want to visit California, so I have no dog in this fight. Lead is not the only metal harmful to wildlife and humans so I don't know if there's that much logic in banning ML ball. They've been used for hundreds of years but only recently, when relatively few actually now fire them, have they come under attack. I find this a bit confusing. I do recall two condors that underwent necropsies. One was found to have swallowed a $.25 cent piece that lead to its death. Not sure about the second one.

The calif . dept of wildlife has a list of approved projectilels, no others may be used.
When you are hunting you must if asked show and prove that your load is legal or suffer the consequences.

Buzz

From the CA fish and Foul website:
"How will wildlife officers check for compliance?
All ammunition in a hunter’s possession may be inspected by wildlife officers. In some cases, if a wildlife officer suspects a hunter is in possession of lead ammunition and cannot prove otherwise in the field, he or she may seize a cartridge or bullet for further analysis. Hunters are encouraged to assist in confirming compliance by retaining and carrying in the field ammunition boxes or other packaging."

Funny how they say "Hunters are encouraged to assist in confirming compliance by retaining and carrying in the field ammunition boxes or other packaging"
Well, under the 5th A, I'll let them "seize" a projectile and I get a receipt and tell them I will bill them for it. But in no other way will I assist them in their investigation, Not my job. No box, no invoice, nothing. It is their burden to prove me in violation. I know what I shoot is legal. Not my problem that they can't identify in the field. All they get is my license info and the projectile since the game laws walk all over the 4th A. with a "seizure" of the projectile without due process.

As for the "approved list" show me any specifical muzzleloader-approved ammo.
https://wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nonlead-Ammunition/Certified
See "RotoMetals" where if you buy their Bismuth or Pewter and cast your own, and carry a "receipt" you are good.
But there are many who do not cast their boolets or ball. I do, I cast for my 50. But how many shooters in Kalifornia are going to go through the expense and learning curve to cast? That leaves many here in Kalifornia at a disadvantage.

I like this town even more after hearing that! I moved here in 2018 (a week before the Carr Fire) and I don't regret moving here one bit.
I love everything about the area, hate the politics and taxes of the state, but love the land and the warm sunny days! The property we bought was a Carr Fire property actually! Do you hunt? If so, I'll be looking for a hunting partner once we get moved down there!

I love everything about the area, hate the politics and taxes of the state, but love the land and the warm sunny days! The property we bought was a Carr Fire property actually! Do you hunt? If so, I'll be looking for a hunting partner once we get moved down there!
I haven't gone hunting yet, but I would be interested. PM me some time.

I've never been to nor do I want to visit California, so I have no dog in this fight. Lead is not the only metal harmful to wildlife and humans so I don't know if there's that much logic in banning ML ball. They've been used for hundreds of years but only recently, when relatively few actually now fire them, have they come under attack. I find this a bit confusing. I do recall two condors that underwent necropsies. One was found to have swallowed a $.25 cent piece that lead to its death. Not sure about the second one.
Considering relative size, if I swallowed a Frisbee it may well lead to my demise too.

wm

Here's a second vote for RotoMetal's Bismuth/Tin alloy. Pure Bismuth is soft but very brittle. Tap pure with a hammer and it will shatter, add tin and it smushes.

I'm sure California will get around to finding Bismuth toxic as well as virtually every bullet metal known to man soon enough. I spent a year in California one night years ago, that was enough for me.
Robby

These days, being a Californian by choice means that one needs to focus on the good and not the not so good. This is still a beautiful place to live with wonderful outdoor opportunities. I choose to live and play in the mountains...the Eastern Sierra in particular. We feed a lot of people and a lot of our folks here are great to be around. I just get tired of being painted with the wide "California needs to fall into the ocean" drivel.

<rant off>

wm

I hear you Woody, We have mountains, plains, thousands of lakes and rivers, excellent hunting and fishing, and more, but it seems most people think its all concrete, skyscrapers and citiot's. Being a small town guy, when I was in the army I had more in common with those small town southern boys than they did with the citiot's from their own state.
Robby

Here is possible source for bismuth round balls. They are pricey a $1 each.
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/ITX-50-cal-487-non-toxic-roundball-12-balls/productinfo/TXRB50/
This is one option, the challenge with this ball is that it probably will not deform, those things are hard. There are a couple of other options that are not shaped like a sphere. One works like a mini-ball and is made from copper, it’s an option. If you‘d like PM me to discuss, I live in San Diego.

My wife and I are moving to Northern Ca next year and as an avid hunter, I want to be able to use my newly aquired .50 cal G.L. Jones flint lock. I'm curious, with California banning all lead ammunition, what are you that hunt down there shooting out of your traditional ML's to abide by these laws?
Sir, you can easily make bismuth/tin round balls to hunt with. Totally non toxic and easy to make. I use a 95% bismuth - 5% tin ratio which is the same as my bismuth shot. Reference my Avatar picture which is bismuth #4 shot I make for waterfowl hunting. You can buy bismuth and tin from Roto Metals in CA, or Bolton Metals in PA, also from Zip Metals in OH. PM me if you need any help. I have been totally non toxic for 7 years now.

Back