• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditional M/L Guns from Afghanistan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A SABRE HANGER FOR A PULWUR OR OTHER SWORD...
013 (Medium).JPG
014 (Medium).JPG

DECORATIVE MATCHING MEDIUM AND SMALL POUCHES. INSIDE ONE POUCH WERE TWO PIECES OF OLD LINED FABRIC AND A FLINT FOR FIRE MAKING....
026 (Medium).JPG
019 (Medium).JPG
020 (Medium).JPG
021 (Medium).JPG
022 (Medium).JPG
027 (Medium).JPG

Here is another Jazail from my collection. This one is a smooth bore. It's decorated with mother-of-pearl inlays, which seemed to be one of the favorites with these guns. Still has an old museum tag on the butt. It's missing three small inlays I need to replace. Genuine British EIC lock in working order. The bore looks good enough that with a good cleaning it could still shoot. Rest of the gun still needs cleaned.
DSC00755 (Medium).JPG
DSC00756 (Medium).JPG
DSC00757 (Medium).JPG
DSC00759 (Medium).JPG
DSC00760 (Medium).JPG
DSC00761 (Medium).JPG

Rick

The triggerguard is interesting. Do you find it adds any kind of comfort or change from your other Jezail?

This rifle is Persian design but was made in Afghanistan and gifted to Habibullah Khan the Amir of Afghanistan and dated 1906-1907
1904.png

Here's my Mother of Pearl heavily decorated 'Jezail'. I noticed Risk started this topic out calling them a 'jazail', but I see them referred to as jezail (some use jezzail, which is Pashto جزائل, or ultimately from the plural form Arabic: جزایل, for long [barrels).

I LOVE the cannon muzzle of this 45-cal rifle! I have to wonder if this one wreaked havoc on the Brits (with Brown Bess muskets) when they got slaughtered from the Afghans firing down on them from up high on their hills ...

C687CCE5-4B49-49B6-8B1D-6EF5C52A79AF.jpeg
3731678B-9BC5-40AD-B72A-CB82B283AEAC.jpeg
9FE37F22-1F09-47E0-B382-D95BA4330870.jpeg
A0E46A61-86C8-44D1-ABA9-D7D578BC2CA2.jpeg
2DC7D2CA-E210-45A7-AD6E-9F242C4F45FE.jpeg
AA289039-5024-420B-99B0-A3FE3C6F5729.jpeg
B48EB0EB-31A2-4F96-9E05-21BD605D878D.jpeg

The triggerguard is interesting. Do you find it adds any kind of comfort or change from your other Jezail?

This rifle is Persian design but was made in Afghanistan and gifted to Habibullah Khan the Amir of Afghanistan and dated 1906-1907
View attachment 192901
Trigger guards (if they have one) on these jazails vary greatly. Sometimes locally made as on Flint's gun. Other times they show up with a brass/iron guard savaged from some other European gun, or bought from some trade fair.

I've seen one other Jazail that was pearl decorated, but built with a Persian style butt stock. Just goes to show how much cross-culture existed between the regions during this period.

Rick

Here's my Mother of Pearl heavily decorated 'Jezail'. I noticed Risk started this topic out calling them a 'jazail', but I see them referred to as jezail (some use jezzail, which is Pashto جزائل, or ultimately from the plural form Arabic: جزایل, for long [barrels).

I LOVE the cannon muzzle of this 45-cal rifle! I have to wonder if this one wreaked havoc on the Brits (with Brown Bess muskets) when they got slaughtered from the Afghans firing down on them from up high on their hills ...

View attachment 192993View attachment 192994View attachment 192995View attachment 192996View attachment 192997View attachment 192998View attachment 192999
Flint: That is a good looking Jazail. (Yes, I've probably been spelling it wrong for 30+ years. LOL). A couple things I've noticed: The barrel appears octagon at the breech, tapering round, and ending in a nice octagon swell at the muzzle. The barrels on both I posted above are a simple taper round with slight swells at the muzzle. Also, it appears your lock is a three-screw mount. Correct ?

Rick

Flint: That is a good looking Jazail. Also, it appears your lock is a three-screw mount. Correct ?
The lock must be from another or previous arm? At the tail you can see a bolt tip flush to the lockplate, but on the other side only the middle and forward lock bolts are used.

... and now - just by turning it over to look - there are 3 more pieces of MoP on the floor! Yeesh!

This is my favorite original arm, what with the barrel, cannon muzzle and decorations ... but far too fragile to shoot! Not due to the metal ... but I'd have MoP flying off all over the place ... !

HOLY SMOKES!

This is sooooo darn F R A G I L E that just in taking these photos ... 3 pieces of the MoP fell off! Just by 'carefully' placing it on the floor and turning 'gently' to pose it for photos. Now where is my super glue ...

View attachment 193000
DARN!!! That black colored substance they often used on these Jazails is strange. They even used it under their barrel bands it often appears. But like other glues, it eventually ages. The best adheasive I've found to replace the inlays is black silicone. It never hardens to the point of not being able to easily remove it soon/later if you make a mistake. Mother of pearl in thin sheets/pieces is easily available today from vendors that supply parts for making/decorating guitars. So you can make new, additional inlays if desired.
Just purchase the silicone, a jeweler's saw and file set. Use a small gouge to remove most of the old, brittle glue. Place a drop ot two in the inlay mortise, and press the inlay in place. Let sit over night. It will hold.

Rick

The lock must be from another or previous arm? At the tail you can see a bolt tip flush to the lockplate, but on the other side only the middle and forward lock bolts are used.

... and now - just by turning it over to look - there are 3 more pieces of MoP on the floor! Yeesh!

This is my favorite original arm, what with the barrel, cannon muzzle and decorations ... but far too fragile to shoot! Not due to the metal ... but I'd have MoP flying off all over the place ... !
That's the problem I have with the mosaic on my Persian gun. Sounds like it may be a job for the can of spray adhesive (?)

Rick

Good tip on the black silicone! Thanks Rick!

I also already bought a box of MoP pieces from eBay years ago, plus have a small container of pieces that came with it when purchased from the Seller.

I think I only paid $125 for it … not too bad, huh?

This will be the 1st arm that I restore … once I retire that is!

Good tip on the black silicone! Thanks Rick!

I also already bought a box of MoP pieces from eBay years ago, plus have a small container of pieces that came with it when purchased from the Seller.

I think I only paid $125 for it … not too bad, huh?

This will be the 1st arm that I restore … once I retire that is!
The work is a bit tedious, but once you get the hang of the inlays, it goes faster.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-313...locphy=9022811&hvtargid=pla-450800338311&th=1

Here is another Jazeil. This one is heavily decorated in brass, but with a decorated iron trigger guard. A genuine British EIC lock of a bit earlier flat-face vintage and dated 1799. What makes this example especially interesting is that it was built using a fluted Omani style barrel. Probably from a matchlock. It's smooth bore.
001 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG
004 (Medium).JPG
007 (Medium).JPG
017 (Medium).JPG
018 (Medium).JPG

Rick

Back