• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditional in line flint lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I remember about a decade ago in Muzzle Blast Magazine a very interesting article about an inline flint lock that some guy reproduced.
Does anyone remember the year and edition number of that particular Muzzle Blast?
I think I still have it around in one of my piles of Muzzle Blasts but hate to have to sort through them all to find it.

I don't know of the article, but I see an original inline flint at CLA each year. Next summer I'll take pics. It was pretty cool.
Regards,
Pletch

I think perhaps about 6 yrs ago. I remember the article. 6 yrs is my best guess, but time flies.

Hi,
No they are not thinking of Hall's breech loader. In the 18th century a few flintlock guns were made in central Europe (Bohemia) in which the entire mechanism was internal, no flint cock showing. The photo below shows one of these guns, which has a stock completely covered with dyed tortoise shell. They were very expensive and not many were made.

dave
YdaPDvi.jpg

Some box lock flintlocks have nothing but a touchhole in the bottom of the pan directly in line with the barrel.

Spence

I believe this gun was a single shot and had a cover shield over the pan so the gun could be reliably fired in wet weather.
The flint moved straight ahead against and angled frizzen if memory serves correctly.
It looked like a great idea but is the only one I have ever seen pictures of.
Perhaps I can e-mail Muzzle Blast and get the edition number from them.

Dave Person said:
Hi,
No they are not thinking of Hall's breech loader. In the 18th century a few flintlock guns were made in central Europe (Bohemia) in which the entire mechanism was internal, no flint cock showing. The photo below shows one of these guns, which has a stock completely covered with dyed tortoise shell. They were very expensive and not many were made.

dave

YdaPDvi.jpg

Dave, you're right. This is it. The one at CLA was a single barrel version set up the same way.
Regards,
Pletch

That is such a unique and neat gun Dave. Thanks for sharing. It really goes to show you that there are relatively few truly unique and original ideas when it comes to mechanical devices.

Most advancements have to come through those of advancing technology. The flint lock endured for several hundred years before it was eclipsed by the invention of the percussion cap, which of course then led to self contained ammunition capsules.

Latest posts

Back