• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Hunts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Are there any states besides PA that have cap lock/ flintlock only hunts? Preferably in the central part of the United States. Here in Missouri we can’t even get a managed hunt with traditional muzzleloader/archery only. It’s a shame.

I remember back in the day when my home state of Connecticut had a primitive muzzleloader season. Patched round ball only, flintlock or percussion.
The old days are gone forever.

Are there any states besides PA that have cap lock/ flintlock only hunts? Preferably in the central part of the United States. Here in Missouri we can’t even get a managed hunt with traditional muzzleloader/archery only. It’s a shame.
Sorry buddy.

We can use traditional muzzleloaders in the early muzzleloader season, and during deer season, and in the late season, but the back-engineered rifles that were made to conform to ML seasons can shoot those too, BUT we get extra time for traditional muzzleloaders at the very end of the season in January. We don't have much public hunting land, so where I hunt it's always traditional, being private land.

LD

I've never understood why a state couldn't have a traditional primitive hunt. Most states are including the new zip gun inlines as well, and guys are out there hunting with scopes and whatever on them, with plastic saboted bullets, etc..... As far as I'm concerned the season should start out with a combo bow and primitive muzzleloading season combined. Let the zip guns shoot the regular rifle season if they have to use them.

Sadly, muzzleloader season in many States has evolved into nothing more than an early rifle season. In Virginia, it runs for two weeks prior to the regular firearms season. Based on the firearms that I am seeing, it might as well be regular firearms season. The only thing "primitive" about it, are the rifles just happen to load from the muzzle.

Jim Bridger didn't have a stainless steel barrel, composite stock, primer ignition, jacketed sabot or spitzer projectiles, optical sights, and smokeless powder. Muzzleloader seasons shouldn't either. But it loads from the muzzle, so it's good to go... I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

And I agree 100%. The State Fish & Game Departments will never give up that lost revenue by tightening the regulations and eliminating that garbage.

In NY our "primitive" season is any muzzleloader...inline, scopes, etc. all go, so it is pretty much a "brown is down" season as ML season is doe or buck.
I would love a late season real (caplock, patch and ball, open sights) late ML season.
That would happen mid to late december in my neck of the woods, but the deer are yarding up by then so I think the state is wise avoiding that. (I am northern NY Tug Hill region).

Virginia is a "whatever loads from the muzzle" state, but I hunt with my flintlocks on my property. The area is sparsely populated and all privately owned, so no real hunting pressure. "Early MLer season" is 2 weeks later October-Mid November, so the the weather might be pleasantly warm to cold and rainy. MLer bear is in the 2nd week of MLer deer, and fall turkey is in during the 1st week of MLer deer, so more targets of opportunity.

We tried in Colorado to define the ml season for sidelocks and traditional equipment only back in the '90's. That lasted one season. The manufacturers threatened to sue if their inlines were not allowed. The wildlife people caved.

I remember. They considered banning BH 209 too but changed their mind.

I told them they can set any laws they want but if they call it primitive I was going to rag on them every chance I got.

You just can't help but see about anything that loads from the muzzle during the "primitive season". In Georgia I hunted mostly private land and never paid much attention to the unmentionable shooters I saw on public land. In fact I never ever ran across any other traditional ML hunter during my hunts. But I used a flintlock regardless of season or whether regular rifle season was underway. I NEVER felt at a disadvantage in rifle season. I always did better with a flintlock than the guys using cartridge guns. To me the important thing was the challenge and the thrill of using 18th century technology to take game.

I hardly ever see another muzzleloader hunter but when I do he's using a modern one. They look at my Hawken like i'm nuts and couldn't kill a squirrel with it. Oh well.

Back