• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditional Hunt in Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Every year I host a traditional hunt in Texas. It is not a rigid event like a reenactment. This is a casual event for using your black powder traditional arm. Some participants wear traditional attire and take it to a greater extent than others who are mostly modern but their rifle/musket/fowler/pistol. Anyway, this year it will be held the last week of May on a private ranch about 1 hours N. of Corpus Christi. This is a place owned by big oil and gas and typically used for corporate hunting (no commercial hunting or open to public). It is 10,100 acres and is high fenced. This is primarily to manage the exotic game population and take female animals. There are a lot of axis deer and red deer. Either tastes great and will yield a lot of good meat. There are about 5 other species but this time of year the males are not hard horned. The axis can be. There are Red Sheep there. Hogs can hunted. The cost of the hunt is $500 for red deer, $350 for axis and $250 for hogs. The ranch wants $150 per night lodging, or there is plenty of commercial lodging just 20 minutes away. Hunting is spot and stalk or you may use a blind. I have 5 empty spots this May so if any forum member is interested send me a PM.
The next hunt will be in July and will be held on my place in Hondo, TX. This will be for axis or rams. Not much else is for summer but I do have bison, water buffalo and watusi. Barasingha's are hunted in July as are Springbok. Anyway the axis or ram hunt with lodging (or camping allowed) and including trophy bass fishing is $500 total per person for this one. I only have one participant for this one right now so I can accommodate up to 7 more. It will be hot. Hunting is an hour in the morning and maybe two hours in afternoon but the rifle range is open all day! And the A/C is strong!

Every year I host a traditional hunt in Texas. It is not a rigid event like a reenactment. This is a casual event for using your black powder traditional arm. Some participants wear traditional attire and take it to a greater extent than others who are mostly modern but their rifle/musket/fowler/pistol. Anyway, this year it will be held the last week of May on a private ranch about 1 hours N. of Corpus Christi. This is a place owned by big oil and gas and typically used for corporate hunting (no commercial hunting or open to public). It is 10,100 acres and is high fenced. This is primarily to manage the exotic game population and take female animals. There are a lot of axis deer and red deer. Either tastes great and will yield a lot of good meat. There are about 5 other species but this time of year the males are not hard horned. The axis can be. There are Red Sheep there. Hogs can hunted. The cost of the hunt is $500 for red deer, $350 for axis and $250 for hogs. The ranch wants $150 per night lodging, or there is plenty of commercial lodging just 20 minutes away. Hunting is spot and stalk or you may use a blind. I have 5 empty spots this May so if any forum member is interested send me a PM.
The next hunt will be in July and will be held on my place in Hondo, TX. This will be for axis or rams. Not much else is for summer but I do have bison, water buffalo and watusi. Barasingha's are hunted in July as are Springbok. Anyway the axis or ram hunt with lodging (or camping allowed) and including trophy bass fishing is $500 total per person for this one. I only have one participant for this one right now so I can accommodate up to 7 more. It will be hot. Hunting is an hour in the morning and maybe two hours in afternoon but the rifle range is open all day! And the A/C is strong!

Groan.....

Sounds great. Wish I could join in. Maybe next year. Let us know how folks do.

That sure does sound like fun!! Hunting any of those species with the old Rock lock would be a Hoot!! But like Brokennock, this year will not work for me. But Its something to plan for next year for sure!! Please keep us posted

Is this the usual time of year that you do this? That way I can start planning since now!!

Thanks for thinking of us here on the forum!!

This hunt is going to be May 24-25th at one place N. or Corpus Christi, TX (10,100 acres) for Red Deer and Axis females. On the 26th we will go to Hondo, TX for Water Buffalo, Bison and blackbuck females. I have three more openings.

That's a good price on axis does!! Axis in my opinion is by far the best deer species toeat, only thing better tome is elk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back