• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional case?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
When transporting your traditional muzzleloader to the woods, range, rendezvous, etc., what case if any do you carry it in? Could we see some pictures?

I’m thinking of making a couple so I’m looking for ideas. A modern nylon case for my Hawken or Kentucky works but it just don’t seem right. I don’t even have one for my Fusil de Chasse.

I’m thinking of making a couple so I’m looking for ideas. A modern nylon case for my Hawken or Kentucky works but it just don’t seem right. I don’t even have one for my Fusil de Chasse.

Did you look at the thread I posted? Check out post #22. That's what I use for a Hawken and it seems to suit it just fine. What I like about a thick horse blanket is it protects the gun better than the thin cases.

Yes I saw that and I like it. I’ll probably go with something similar. Just wondering if there’s something out there I hadn’t thought of.

I guess your thread and mine were very similar. I’m more interested in what folks are already using or have made rather than where to buy one. But thanks for the information.

That’s a cool picture you posted too.

Last edited:
It wasn't my thread but I thought you'd get some ideas from it. I would think the old timers used blankets and buckskins. Buckskin are pricey unless to shoot the animal and braintan it yourself.

That's if they used cases at all. Most of them probably didn't because they wanted the gun to always be ready to shoot. We can't walk around with a gun like they did,

You’re right. Also, the old timers of the 18th and 19th centuries didn’t load up their stuff in automobiles and drive to a range to shoot. I’ve thought about not even using a case but I don’t like the idea of a gun being unprotected in a vehicle.

No, we have to use them. I was just saying it's hard to be PC if they didn't use cases back then. I still think the thick horse blanket is a good choice.

No, we have to use them. I was just saying it's hard to be PC if they didn't use cases back then. I still think the thick horse blanket is a good choice.

This is so true. Figured I will just go with a regular case till I get there then roll with the tinned canvas. Is it PC? Nope, but they did not have FJ’s full of stuff back then either.

RM

I've just been using a modern case that fits the gun. However, being a woodworker and having more than a few toys in my toy box, I've been looking at making a case for my roller like would have been seen at Creedmore. The idea is very similar to the presentation cases used for cap n ball revolvers

I like blankets, they are thick and lined with heavy canvas. I get them from October Country or Track of the Wolf.
https://www.octobercountry.com/blanket-rifle-cover-new-colors/https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/28/1They have pistol blankets too.

I make my own lined and fringed suede ones.
Like this except I put fringe on both ends, so the center of the rifle can sit crosswise in front of the saddle horn in case of rain.
Gun case, fringed suede leather, accepts carbines & rifles up to 40" long - Track of the Wolf

I use two types. Canvas lined blanket, and fringed, suede leather. The blanket case gives the best protection for rough vehicle travel. The leather looks really nice. .

Do the blanket covers from October Country and Track of The Wolf fit a hawken style percussion? I seem to recall reading a comment that the cases were a snug fit.

The only time I use a case is when I am on my ATV. When I am just running around and out to the range I use a muzzle protector I built.

w8edXYd.jpg

y9zoeH2.jpg

8xtAoEY.jpg

X5coTK7.jpg

Back