• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional and accurate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cotton ball would be very convenient. It seems like it would be tedious to cut a perfect circle in cardboard to put behind the PA.
Ne really sure the cotton balls are just cotton, no synthetic materials for obvious reasons.
Tedious? Oh yes… most people use a drill mounted wad cutter. When I used the cardboard wads I made them from cardboard milk boxes or something similar. Waterproof so lube from the bullet won’t migrate into the powder charge and they do protect the base of the bullet.

I've taken another look at that Lyman Great Plains. 1 in 24 twist I could fire a lot of different types of rounds. On Track the Wolf they show below the rifle they show those big 378 grain projectiles. Thats a big slug.
It doesn't say though the maximum load I could put behind that safely. I'd like to get out more than 200 yards. Seems like a heavy round like that would be dropping fast.
I could fire the PA conicals too or a lighter conical. Maybe even that Lee REAL cast bullet.

Anyone else have one of these Lyman's?
What kind of accuracy and range are you getting?

M

In a 50 caliber it's only eight grains heavier than a large 50 maxi. Also, given the huge lube grooves of the Maxi, the Maxi is probably longer.

So, conventional wisdom says that a 1:48 should stabilize the great plains just as well as a 1:48 TC stabilizes a Maxi.

Overall performance should be similar to a Maxi and safe loads should be the same.

Do you know what the max load is for a rifle like that? (And hence approximate effective range)?

70 grains with a maxi. How much do those weigh? Dropping an elk at 130 yards says that load and that round is no joke.

Idaholewis' .50 x 48" thread got me to scratching around for fifty stuff in the fun room. Found a NOE mold #503485, an inch long heavy semi-wadcutter. Some how I just don't think those 48" twist barrels are gonna work with that one.:oops:

Latest posts

Back