• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditional and accurate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkpatrick

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm thinking my next rifle to be a traditional percussion rifle but I want it to shoot as accurately as possible. I typically only shoot to about 100 yards because I'm firing a .50 ball with I think a 1:68 twist.
So I need some advice on that.
I imagine a tighter rifling twist is going to get me shooting conicals accurately. But lets also talk calibre. Mostly this is target shooting. But I will shoot at a coyote too with it. They are a bit of a problem up where I am at and I've noticed, if you get a shot, you get one shot. So may as well be a percussion rifle. I am braced with some sticks and sitting still, its coyote hunting so I'm using a call and everything. This won't be offhand shooting.
I'd like to get out a bit further than 100. As far as I can get really.
I don't really want to build from a kit, I'm not that skilled at building.
So looking for advice on caliber and twist in regards to accuracy and range. I'm thinking Kentucky Rifle or Pennsylvania? What are some other choices that would serve me well for this?

Thanks for any comments!
M

You want range with knock down power for a coyote. I would go for a 36 or 40 caliber rifle with a 36 to 42 inch barrel. The barrel length for accuracy and the caliber for speed with reduced recoil. There are a few companies with "in the white" kits, and there is Pedersoli, but most major companies now only sell 50 and 54 caliber rifles. Traditions sells a 32 but you have to be lucky to get one that doesn't have problems. That is my opinion, but you will read more with equal creditability.

You shoot what makes you happy. That is the only reason to shoot.
However
Neither flintlock, patched round ball or smaller caliber is going to be less accurate or less reliable for a hundred yard shot. I’ve hunted almost exclusively with flint guns almost fifty years and never had a misfire or hang fire on game.
One has to take care, for sure, but not in any way less reliable or accurate.
I like a .50 at a hundred yards, I don’t currently own one, but just don’t have a need to shoot at that range in the places I hunt, and a .45 does all I need.
And I’m here to tell you there are a lot of boys and maybe a girl or two on this forum alone that shoot a .36 at a hundred yards better then my best
There are a lot of ballistic advantages to a conical, but for the most part none that serve in a hundred yard range, and we will note that on bigger guns one half ball weight in powder will be around max load for best accuracy, while a .36 can load up to near full ball weight and still be accurate although at a hundred yards your velocity may not be worth the extra powder.
There is a challenge with balls or flint, that isn’t much of a challenge at all if you are just willing to take care.
And it’s unlikely you would have started front stuffing if you weren’t willing to take care

I’d loo into a .40 setup with 1 in 20 or so twist. You should be able to use bullets from 180 to 300 grains or so. With proper sights you’ll be accurate to 300 yards or more.

My .58 ArmiSport Richmond shoots a big ragged hole at 100 yards with .570 round ball.

Honestly, 100 yards is pretty close for a rifle, my .69 Smoothbore with a rear sight shoots basketball sized groups at 100.

For stuff like my .50 Pedersoli Hawken, I'm more interested in what it can do at 300

I’d loo into a .40 setup with 1 in 20 or so twist. You should be able to use bullets from 180 to 300 grains or so. With proper sights you’ll be accurate to 300 yards or more.
I like the sound of that. Who makes something like that?

If you are serious about range look at an English Target rifle like the Henry by Rod England.
45 cal shoots conicals to several hundred yards.
This sort of thing

Wow, I like that.
But he didn't speak much about the actual rifle. I'd have like to known his rifle twist and such.
45 cal seems like it would be easier to find. It looks to me, at the end of the video he was talking about those patched bullets being able to be bought. I don't have the means to do any casting.

If it were me I’d see if I could round up Idaholewis and get his input. He is milking some serious range out of regular old 1:48 twist barrels. Not to mention the really fast twists. Short of that I’d look at the GPH rifles. They have something like a 1:24 or 1:28 twist.

Nobody at present. I have had Bobby Hoyt reline a .50 TC Hawken for. 40 caliber 1 in 14. Sights are a Lyman Peep rear and Lyman 17 front with Lee Shaver inserts. I Mounted and glass bedded it in t/c White Mountain carbine stock and it’s a 1 MOA rifle whenever I’m up to it. I shoot heavier bullets which is why I went with a faster rate of twist but for the lighter bullet and shorter range 1 in 20 or so would suffice.

I’ll snap a couple pictures and post them when I get a minute.

Wow, I like that.
But he didn't speak much about the actual rifle. I'd have like to known his rifle twist and such.
45 cal seems like it would be easier to find. It looks to me, at the end of the video he was talking about those patched bullets being able to be bought. I don't have the means to do any casting.
.45 would probably suit your needs better. Buffalo arms company sells long conical bullets in .40, 45, and 50.

The .40 was chosen because two of my great grandchildren are going to be using these rifles and they are small for their age girls. Recoil from the .45 can be stiff With longer bullets. They handle the 40 just fine.

The best bullet so far in the .40 is a Lyman 403173 designed for the 40-60 Marlin and 40-65 Winchester lever guns. It drops from my mold at 308 grains and is a tack driver at velocities up to 1400 fps. Recoil in the White mountain carbine is mild with the Pachmayr slip on pad but it will be replaced with a Pachmayr fitted pad and the pitch addressed at the same time.

8E52C687-8CB6-437D-A298-C3F50A0485F6.jpeg
1859020E-8A2F-4FFE-A011-06D2FA548805.jpeg

If it were me I’d see if I could round up Idaholewis and get his input. He is milking some serious range out of regular old 1:48 twist barrels. Not to mention the really fast twists. Short of that I’d look at the GPH rifles. They have something like a 1:24 or 1:28 twist.
The Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken (.50 cal.) comes standard with a 1 in 24" twist. This would be an option in addition to the GPH's already mentioned.

Nobody and they probably never will!

Woodnbow is on the right track. I have a Renegade that I'm thinking of a 40 or 45 fast twist. There are several barrel makers that will make a blank. Rice for sure and maybe Oregon.

The Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken (.50 cal.) comes standard with a 1 in 24" twist. This would be an option in addition to the GPH's already mentioned.
So how fast of a twist do I need for conicals? Is 1:24 what I'd need for that?
Here's is a stupid question, what does GPH stand for?
M

You shoot what makes you happy. That is the only reason to shoot.
However
Neither flintlock, patched round ball or smaller caliber is going to be less accurate or less reliable for a hundred yard shot. I’ve hunted almost exclusively with flint guns almost fifty years and never had a misfire or hang fire on game.
One has to take care, for sure, but not in any way less reliable or accurate.
I like a .50 at a hundred yards, I don’t currently own one, but just don’t have a need to shoot at that range in the places I hunt, and a .45 does all I need.
And I’m here to tell you there are a lot of boys and maybe a girl or two on this forum alone that shoot a .36 at a hundred yards better then my best
There are a lot of ballistic advantages to a conical, but for the most part none that serve in a hundred yard range, and we will note that on bigger guns one half ball weight in powder will be around max load for best accuracy, while a .36 can load up to near full ball weight and still be accurate although at a hundred yards your velocity may not be worth the extra powder.
There is a challenge with balls or flint, that isn’t much of a challenge at all if you are just willing to take care.
And it’s unlikely you would have started front stuffing if you weren’t willing to take care
Hey, good comments there! Thanks.

Nobody at present. I have had Bobby Hoyt reline a .50 TC Hawken for. 40 caliber 1 in 14. Sights are a Lyman Peep rear and Lyman 17 front with Lee Shaver inserts. I Mounted and glass bedded it in t/c White Mountain carbine stock and it’s a 1 MOA rifle whenever I’m up to it. I shoot heavier bullets which is why I went with a faster rate of twist but for the lighter bullet and shorter range 1 in 20 or so would suffice.

I’ll snap a couple pictures and post them when I get a minute.
The best bullet so far in the .40 is a Lyman 403173 designed for the 40-60 Marlin and 40-65 Winchester lever guns. It drops from my mold at 308 grains and is a tack driver at velocities up to 1400 fps. Recoil in the White mountain carbine is mild with the Pachmayr slip on pad but it will be replaced with a Pachmayr fitted pad and the pitch addressed at the same time.

View attachment 93171View attachment 93172
He also said "you couldn't buy a cannon" and other inane things. They wish to willy-nilly change the Constitution at will...and there's a movement to re-write the whole thing. Google A New Constitution for the United States of America....

Back