• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tradition’s musket kits vs TRS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m thinking about building either an 1853 Enfield, or an 1842 Springfield. Has anyone built one of the Tradition’s kits or used TRS or used the military sticks from Dunlap? I’m trying to do some research on what’s involved etc. before I purchase from one or the other. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I know I can get originals for about the same price as reproductions but I don’t want to ruin an original.

The Traditions kits are just unassembled Chiapas/Armisport muskets. Should be pretty easy to assemble. Anything from the Rifle Shop is going to be much more labor intensive but should make a more accurate copy of you have the skills to achieve it. Sometimes parts are on back order at the Rifle Shop and can take a long time to get, if you want them soon, check on the time frame.

TRS is a little better than pig iron and maple seeds, but are high skilled assembly. From then you get as perfect a copy as you can.
Traditions is low skill but can turn out a high quality gun, but not as perfect.
I try to be hard core but the difference would not matter to me. It’s all about what you want, is willing to invest and your level of satisfaction
Cheaper well done is better than best parts poorly assembled. I’m an expert at turning a thousand dollars of parts in to a five hundred dollar gun.

The Traditions kits are just unassembled Chiapas/Armisport muskets. Should be pretty easy to assemble. Anything from the Rifle Shop is going to be much more labor intensive but should make a more accurate copy of you have the skills to achieve it. Sometimes parts are on back order at the Rifle Shop and can take a long time to get, if you want them soon, check on the time frame.
The gripes about the service from TR are endless. I never dealt with them but have read many picky comments about them. I'd go with the Chiapas/Armisports.

I think TRS has reduced their order-to-fulfillment times. May be worth giving them a call. They're super friendly and knowledgeable.

TRS; I've never dealt with them, but have read many frustrating posts about them. I didn't realize Trad. Kits are just unassembled Chiapa's! Good to know in case one pops up unexpectedly.

Back