• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traded unmentionable, modern firearm for Traditional Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I swapped a new-fangled, cartridge firearm for a Schimmel, poor boy flintlock, Pennsylvania-style rifle. This type rifle often is called a barn rifle.

Poor boy is not a model name. It's a term used to describe a very basic gun, a working man's gun used around a farm and hunting for meat. Others terms used would be "barn gun" or "Schimmel" which is a German word meaning moldy. Typically they don't have muzzle-caps or butt plates. They were the work horse of many farms - a very plain gun left where the farmer could have access to it quickly to eliminate pests or the larder needed refilling.

I have several flintlocks with 39 to 40 inch barrels, but never have owned a rifle with a 42 inch barrel like this Schimmel. That is one characteristic that made it appealing to me.

It has a maple stock, sliding wood patchbox, no buttplate. The barrel is Colerain, 13/16 across the flats, and lock is L&R Durs Egg. Iron mounted southern style.

ua2Atb.jpg

Ps2L0k.jpg

UEMoun.jpg

DY6q5q.jpg

xNTWix.jpg

rqpj0Y.jpg

Ron

I was pretty excited when the individual suggested that he was up for a trade. He seemed to be happy with what he received and I certainly was very pleased!
ron

It is in 45 cal, rifled.

I had purchased a mountain rifle a few months ago and the "hobby" larder was close to empty of $$. The opportunity to trade was highly welcome. After all, I rarely shoot those "modern" firearms since I caught the front stuffer disease.
Ron

Well Ron, as long as the gun you traded didn't have "One of One Thousand" on the barrel, or come out of the vault of Annie Oakley.....

You did good! :rotf:

treestalker said:
Ivory grips!!! Patton said pearl grips were for pimps!!! :wink: You did well getting the flintlock, Only thing I'd change is the trigger guard. Good shooting! Geo.

That's right! Ivory rather than pearl! But what is wrong with pimps? How do you think I can afford these firearms? :shocked2: :idunno: :haha:
Ron

RonRC said:
treestalker said:
Ivory grips!!! Patton said pearl grips were for pimps!!! :wink: You did well getting the flintlock, Only thing I'd change is the trigger guard. Good shooting! Geo.

That's right! Ivory rather than pearl! But what is wrong with pimps? How do you think I can afford these firearms? :shocked2: :idunno: :haha:
Ron

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Well, Ron, you didn't say what you traded but it is likely that you did come out on the long end of that deal. That is a very nice looking rifle. I'd be proud to have it in my gunsafe and to take it to the range or the woods. Good luck with it and let us know how it shoots.

Billnpatti said:
Well, Ron, you didn't say what you traded but it is likely that you did come out on the long end of that deal. That is a very nice looking rifle. I'd be proud to have it in my gunsafe and to take it to the range or the woods. Good luck with it and let us know how it shoots.
When the snow melts off, I will take it to the range.
I traded a handgun, a very nice handgun (9 mm) for concealed carry.
This is my current CCW:
fenchmodel18161822calva.jpg

Ron

The 9mm had more firepower but this little piece has style. Besides, while a 9 will put more holes in the miscreants hide through which his life can slip, this piece will make a single hole through which the wind can blow the bad guy's spirit away to let him dance in the eternal ashes.

Latest posts

Back