• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trade knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking at some shipping manifests or trade items for the fur business. Something I noticed was several scores of folding knives, both large and small. The manifests were French. Is there a book or website recommendation to find out more about these?

There used to be a website, I think in was Novelle Francais, or something like that. Then a book was published with all the information BUT I can't find it any where. Wish I had bought the book.

What is remarkable is the design of these blades are very similar to ones that were issued to the Roman soldiers in the Iberian Peninsula. If I recall accurately, around the time of the first to third centuries. The design could be 800 to 1000+ years old. Perhaps an earliest form of "if it works, don't fix it".
Except for the Opinel brand, does anyone know who makes anything close to these?

What is remarkable is the design of these blades are very similar to ones that were issued to the Roman soldiers in the Iberian Peninsula. If I recall accurately, around the time of the first to third centuries. The design could be 800 to 1000+ years old. Perhaps an earliest form of "if it works, don't fix it".
Except for the Opinel brand, does anyone know who makes anything close to these?
There are some India made Siamois style knives. Most handled in rosewood with not great steel. I had to bite the bullet and go custom maker for my two. No regrets. We’ll worth it.
22FED8A1-3C32-4604-A4FA-27F92915D420.jpeg

Here is a knife I recently purchased. It was $8.50 and I was a bit suspect to the quality being such a low price so I ordered a couple of them. I was right the quality is low. The blade is thin and probably stainless. It also has an engraved company name in the blade. I had to peen the rivet as the blade was wobbly in the handle. It's not that great of a knife, but since it is just for my use, I'll stain the handle, sharpen the blade and throw it in my shooting pouch. It might be good for cutting patches or cutting jerky. The two knives that Ratorats showed a pic of are awesome. I hope that inspires me to forge a proper quality thumb folder for myself.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• penny.JPG
    penny.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I was looking at some shipping manifests or trade items for the fur business. Something I noticed was several scores of folding knives, both large and small. The manifests were French. Is there a book or website recommendation to find out more about these?
OPINEL still makes small, folding, carbon steel knives without a lock.... Just sand off the markings and voila, inexpensive pocket knife....

OPINEL KNIVES NO LOCKS.JPG

LD

Here is a knife I recently purchased. It was $8.50 and I was a bit suspect to the quality being such a low price so I ordered a couple of them. I was right the quality is low. The blade is thin and probably stainless. It also has an engraved company name in the blade. I had to peen the rivet as the blade was wobbly in the handle. It's not that great of a knife, but since it is just for my use, I'll stain the handle, sharpen the blade and throw it in my shooting pouch. It might be good for cutting patches or cutting jerky. The two knives that Ratorats showed a pic of are awesome. I hope that inspires me to forge a proper quality thumb folder for myself.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Nice looking penny knife. At that price I would’ve got a few too to play around with. One problem with a lot of these India-made repro knives is they always seem to have a nail nick in the blade which I’ve never seen on an original 18th century folder.

South Union Mills has a French folding knife in two sizes; small and large. I bought one a little while ago. Although it may be made in India, or perhaps Pakistan, I thought the blade was rather decent quality. At least it was good enough to cut patches on the muzzle with. And I didn't have to take heroic measures to sharpen it at the end of the shooting session. A little touch-up, and voilà!

Ohio Rusty ><>
I checked out the company. They have the knife on their website but it appears that everything that I saw on their site is out of stock.
Bummer.
That said, if your knife is Swiss made, it may be of some quality.

South Union Mills has a French folding knife in two sizes; small and large. I bought one a little while ago. Although it may be made in India, or perhaps Pakistan, I thought the blade was rather decent quality. At least it was good enough to cut patches on the muzzle with. And I didn't have to take heroic measures to sharpen it at the end of the shooting session. A little touch-up, and voilà!
Bingo!
https://www.southunionmills.com/18th-century-french-pocket-knife-large/

I checked out the company. They have the knife on their website but it appears that everything that I saw on their site is out of stock.
Bummer.
That said, if your knife is Swiss made, it may be of some quality.

Swiss Advance 32685 JACK Penny Knife​

32685 by Swiss Advance Gear

List Price: $19.98
Our Price: $11.99
Savings: $7.99 (40%)

Fast Shipping
The site Knife Country USA says they are in stock for $11.99. I ordered a couple of them to be modified as I didn't think they were great quality, but they had the right look for an 18th century penny knife. I was trying to find a suitable shooting bag knife without breaking the bank. The knife is made in Austria, which may be better than China. If you click on the link, that knife is the first selection.
Ohio Rusty ><>

In Stock

Description​

Model/Part Number - SSA32685. Swiss Advance Gear JACK Penny Knife. 4.13" (10.49cm) closed. 3" (7.62cm) satin finish stainless clip point blade. Birch wood handle. Slip joint. Bulk packed. Made in Austria.

Latest posts

Back