• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trade knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 171980
My original plan was to make a type 1 French Scalper with a full tang. (Because some people don’t trust 1/2 tangs) In doing my research I failed to notice in “correct” knives ONLY English Scalpers had Diamond shaped handles (looking from back of knife). Then it was discovered my type 1 is a little to pointy 😆.
I’m good with the suggestions, I’d rather know now instead of month or years from now.
As for my Bubinga handle…because there is no concrete evidence of what the “red handle” was made from, I believe it could have been Bubinga which grows on western coast of Africa, which rumor has it was visited by England in the 1700’s

The good thing about no epoxy in 1700’s is I can drive pins out re-profile the blade shape, replace handle with blocky wood slabs or octagon and it should be correct compliant.😅
I want to try and reprofile one into the Type A style.
1667311332109.png

Attachments

• Chicago Cutlery 2.jpg
    Chicago Cutlery 2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
So, we are talking about French knives. Wick probably knows but to the best of my knowledge the pins on the French knives were a little larger in diameter. If French then the dropped point is okay and the rounded ricasso area. No idea on handles. The trade/inventory lists of goods going to the mountain men listed bar wood, cam wood, and "red" on various trade/scalping knives. Years ago I was in close contact with a museum person in Sheffield that told me about the wood from Honduras being sent to England/Sheffield to be used as knife scales. No idea what was used on the French knives.
Most folks think all the mountain men were "From the States" but there was a huge amount of French trappers, especially in the early days. Laramie Wyoming is named after La Ramie (SIC?) a French trapper. It seems they might have been carrying French knives. They certainly were all over the Great Lakes, Ohio River, Etc. There was a web site no longer around but maybe it was archived- on French trade knives. If anyone has it, it ought to be posted here and put in this websites archives- all the designs, stamp marks, etc. were on it.
On my bucket list next Spring/Summer is a Great Lakes trip so I have a new interest in the French fur trade, etc.

So, we are talking about French knives. Wick probably knows but to the best of my knowledge the pins on the French knives were a little larger in diameter. If French then the dropped point is okay and the rounded ricasso area. No idea on handles. The trade/inventory lists of goods going to the mountain men listed bar wood, cam wood, and "red" on various trade/scalping knives. Years ago I was in close contact with a museum person in Sheffield that told me about the wood from Honduras being sent to England/Sheffield to be used as knife scales. No idea what was used on the French knives.
Most folks think all the mountain men were "From the States" but there was a huge amount of French trappers, especially in the early days. Laramie Wyoming is named after La Ramie (SIC?) a French trapper. It seems they might have been carrying French knives. They certainly were all over the Great Lakes, Ohio River, Etc. There was a web site no longer around but maybe it was archived- on French trade knives. If anyone has it, it ought to be posted here and put in this websites archives- all the designs, stamp marks, etc. were on it.
On my bucket list next Spring/Summer is a Great Lakes trip so I have a new interest in the French fur trade, etc.
Yes, the French pins were about1/8". That site you mention is apparently gone. I first found it on a Chuck Burrows site, but it seems much of Chucks sites are gone. I believe the site may have originally been from Ken Hamilton, but not sure. It was a great site with great photos.

Latest posts

Back