• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade knife handle woods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just wondering about some of the less common woods used in 18th century trade knives. I know about cam and rosewood and beech but what about others. I’m particularly curious if cocobolo was ever used by the English or French for trade knives.

I would say for sure. Reddish exotics seemed very popular. Boxwood was also popular, although it is yellow, but a wonderful wood to work with. It is very tight grained, yet light in weight, strong and tough.

I have actually researched this a little, although my period of interest is more toward the first half of the 19th century.

Beech was the most common wood. Carl Russell reported a sample of wood from a FURNIS scalper, submitted for laboratory analysis, was found to be Indian rosewood. Edwin T. Denig stated the most common trade knives on the northern plains in his day were hafted with "brazilwood" (pernambuco) or logwood. We know boxwood was used on Flemish and French trade knives, and one of my sources indicated boxwood was also used on English knives, but I've found nothing (to date) to corroborate this. Cocobolo (sometimes listed as "cocoa") and even ebony were used on better grades of knives.

One wood you don't see on trade knives is curly maple.

One problem for those of us who try to replicate these knives is simply finding the right woods. Beech is available, if you are willing to resaw large pieces into small ones. Indian rosewood is now being grown commercially, and is an ethical choice that is easy to find. Pernambuco is protected by CITES and is unavailable, but chakte viga ("Mexican pernambuco") is a closely related wood that is almost indistinguishable. "Boxwood" has been used for several different species. We assume the French, Flemish, and British cutlers used the European variety, but Castellano boxwood is all you are likely to find now. However, it should make an acceptable substitute. I have never seen cam wood or barrwood for sale, although I think these may be related to either shedua or Padauk (can't remember which at the moment) and one of these might be usable as a substitute.

Notchy Bob

Hey guys thanks for all the good info.
Wick I was wondering if you’d show up here. As per your advice I ordered one of Kyle Wilyard’s trade knives and it has a cocobolo handle. It’s a 5 inch blade with a subtle drop point half tang with three pins. Can’t wait for the man in brown to drop it off.
Notchy Bob thanks for sharing. You wouldn’t happen to know of any primary documentation for cocobolo/cocoa handle trade knives? I’m particularly interested if they show up in trade invoices during the French regime or if it was a later choice wood of the NWC or HBC. With Spain being a French ally in the F&I war was there much of a lumber trade between Britain and Spain’s South American colonies in the mid 18th century?
Regards
Stephen

Tropical woods harvested commercially for the English market go back well before the 18th c. Look up the convoluted history of British Honduras (modern Belize). The Brits were there, cutting logwood which was used for dyes and mahogany for furniture in the 17th c. Once a haven of sorts for pirates as well as woodcutters, the Spanish asserted temporary control several times but the Brits always came back & British Honduras became a crown colony, later becoming an independent nation under the name of Belize.

I would say for sure. Reddish exotics seemed very popular. Boxwood was also popular, although it is yellow, but a wonderful wood to work with. It is very tight grained, yet light in weight, strong and tough.
I was just fixing to start asking around if anyone had heard from you. Thanks for posting.

O.P. listen to Wick.....

Finally got my Kyle Willyard small trade knife. Nice size to put on my fowling pouch.
21A5C828-5C2B-4E39-AF71-2C2D1797D884.jpeg

7FE7CFB1-FCFB-4FBD-A3DA-78D5F4052090.jpeg

4B71A45F-6FCF-46F9-8C19-C38BAFD6443E.jpeg

0ABC004B-D5FC-4504-94AD-72144864F892.jpeg

That's a beautiful knife! The handle wood is really pretty. Sorry I have not looked up the cocobolo references for you.

I bought a seven inch English scalper from Mr. Willyard several years ago. I sent him a piece of Mexican Pernambuco to use for the handle, which turned out well. He does beautiful work. He is not afraid to make the knife authentically. On those old scalpers, the tang was typically not as wide as the handle, which left a gap or empty space within the tang slot on the underside of the handle. I understand this was sometimes filled with "cutler's cement" (rosin and brick dust), and sometimes not. To the modern eye, it looks unfinished if it isn't filled, but it is an authentic feature and it really makes no difference in the function of the knife. It looks as if yours has that unfilled slot, too, in the old-time style.

Notchy Bob

That's a beautiful knife! The handle wood is really pretty. Sorry I have not looked up the cocobolo references for you.

I bought a seven inch English scalper from Mr. Willyard several years ago. I sent him a piece of Mexican Pernambuco to use for the handle, which turned out well. He does beautiful work. He is not afraid to make the knife authentically. On those old scalpers, the tang was typically not as wide as the handle, which left a gap or empty space within the tang slot on the underside of the handle. I understand this was sometimes filled with "cutler's cement" (rosin and brick dust), and sometimes not. To the modern eye, it looks unfinished if it isn't filled, but it is an authentic feature and it really makes no difference in the function of the knife. It looks as if yours has that unfilled slot, too, in the old-time style.

Notchy Bob
Ya I agree the unfilled slot is a non issue. Feels comfy in the hand and gives a tactile indication of blade orientation. My 7 inch blade French boucheron by Ben Hoffman is different. The tapered tang is flush with the antler handle and the sides filled with a little cutler resin.
00D60BEE-4DE9-4B63-A1BB-988957900DA3.jpeg
010883B4-062A-40C0-8E4F-9AB755C0C227.jpeg
1A9D82BB-9D86-4C94-B8EA-3C3C477FF409.jpeg
BFC606E9-D1AB-40C5-9866-0B939A2A8ADD.jpeg
1CB49597-DCF8-452A-BDDC-0A8C7F48D54C.jpeg
687AEEE8-001D-4496-AC8F-794C31359EC0.jpeg

Nice boucheron! I was not familiar with Mr. Hoffman's work. It looks to be top-notch!

I like the smooth antler handle, and he got a really nice finish on the blade.

Notchy Bob

Back