• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade kettle for trekking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for something on the smaller side, possibly tinned brass with a lid if available in an 18th Century design

I just use a "soldier's can" and I take a piece of steel wire, and a nail, and punch a hole next to the handle on the mug, and then punch the second 180° away around the circumference of the edge of the mug to create a bale to suspend the mug over the fire if I wish, or if I heat the mug next to the fire, I can pick it up with a long stick ;). They had soldier's mugs, they had metal punches, they had wire bales..., but I can't point to any historic examples of this being done. It's much cheaper than a tinned copper or brass kettle, but be sure to put something inside the mug under where you're going to punch the hole to make only a hole and not a huge dent.

I get my soldier's cans from Avalon Forge http://www.avalonforge.com/MainCookEat.htm

LD

I have one similar to https://www.crazycrow.com/camping-kettles-and-buckets/old-style-brass-bucket-tin-lined-0
You probably won't find a kettle with a lid, but from experience, you won't need one. That said, one can be made from wood that will fit the opening.

This kettle will make enough stew to feed 4-6 people.
Hand,
How many quarts would you say that size is?
I saw a copper kettle at a 2nd hand store but it was a bit large and not tinned.
How safe is something that's not tinned inside to eat out of?

I just use a "soldier's can" and I take a piece of steel wire, and a nail, and punch a hole next to the handle on the mug, and then punch the second 180° away around the circumference of the edge of the mug to create a bale to suspend the mug over the fire if I wish, or if I heat the mug next to the fire, I can pick it up with a long stick ;). They had soldier's mugs, they had metal punches, they had wire bales..., but I can't point to any historic examples of this being done. It's much cheaper than a tinned copper or brass kettle, but be sure to put something inside the mug under where you're going to punch the hole to make only a hole and not a huge dent.

I get my soldier's cans from Avalon Forge http://www.avalonforge.com/MainCookEat.htm

LD
Dave,
The Soldier's can being the mug at the top of the list?

Hand,
How many quarts would you say that size is?
I saw a copper kettle at a 2nd hand store but it was a bit large and not tinned.
How safe is something that's not tinned inside to eat out of?
Half gallon/2 qts
Untinned brass is safe if you don't let verdigris form (that green coating that oxidized brass forms with time) - keep the inside shiny (At worst, verdigris might cause gastic upset). Cook the food, eat and clean - don't let food sit in the kettle.

Last edited:
Check out Westminister Forge Tom Brown does great copper trekking boilers that are tinned

Check out Westminister Forge Tom Brown does great copper trekking boilers that are tinned
The only problem is that boilers date from around the Civil War and aren't correct for F&I through Fur Trade (the closest period tinned copper pots that resemble boilers are the straight-sided HBC pots with lids).

The only problem is that boilers date from around the Civil War and aren't correct for F&I through Fur Trade (the closest period pot that resembles a boiler is the straight-sided HBC pot).
Check your sources and their offerings Tom Brown only makes well documented period pieces usually from F&I period

Check your sources and their offerings Tom Brown only makes well documented period pieces usually from F&I period
There aren't any links to documentation on his site. Unless some is provided, it is tough to check or determine the accuracy of their products.

Why?
If they have documentation it should be posted on their site (as I've seen elsewhere).
Tom is old school, not much into computers (he doesn't know how to turn one on) but does hand made historically correct copper. I have owned many of his pieces that have seen hard use for over 25 years hunting, trekking, and strict authenticity re-enacting camps.

Tom is old school, not much into computers (he doesn't know how to turn one on) but does hand made historically correct copper. I have owned many of his pieces that have seen hard use for over 25 years hunting, trekking, and strict authenticity re-enacting camps.
Not disputing the quality of the items. However, the lack of documentation is a little more problematic.
It would be best it they showed their item AND images of dated historical examples...

Last edited:
And not one that looks like the (in)famous corn boiler that everyone thinks is period...
I was told by the purveyor of Goose Bay Workshops that the domed lid "corn boiler" is circa 1976...., it's historically inspired. Goose Bay provides information about actual "documentary pieces" on their site as well.

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back