• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trade Gun Trigger Guards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read that the distinctive bowed Trigger Guards on Northwest Trade Guns were for ease of using while mittened. Some source posited that the Natives, having been raised with Bow & Arrow skill, preferred to use Two Fingers on the musket trigger, similar to how they used bow strings. Anyone have any source as to either theory? Someone had to tell the makers back in England, like Lott, what to include on the trade guns. The Indians always insisted upon the Serpent side plate; let's hear some ideas as to the origin of the Bowed, large, Trigger guard. Thanks, all.

I too always heard of the mitten and two finger use by the Indians for the trigger guard style/size. And that the snake was always preferred even though they were often removed and used for trade or made into a necklace. Never read a reliable source to prove or disprove, tenngun is very knowledgeable on these things so he’s likely correct.

Back