• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade Gun shot gun loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th corps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I built my T.O.W. trade gun more then 15 years ago, but have always shot solid ball from it. Today I decided it was time to try a shot gun load. I shot both #8 pellets and #5.
# 8 on the target at 20 yards. Seems like a decent pattern.

032.jpg

When I loaded #5 shot with the same powder charge-70 grains of 3F at the same distance. this is the same target as above, fired at again. What I noticed was there were a few spots were multiple pellets appear to have struck in the same spot. Any idea what causes this?
039.jpg

My next goal is to load up #8, and hit a clay pigeon in air from my Trius thrower.
032.jpg
039.jpg
034.jpg

Im not quite sure why it happens but it can happen with conventional shotguns too. Ive seen it when ive patterned smokless shells. You might try messing with your powder charge a bit in small incriments and see what it does for your patterns; tjough it ñooks good enough to hit clays with. You didn't mention how much shot you used in your loading. Ill see if i can get an explanation for you as to how shot travels to the target.
-Shea

The problem with kapok is that it is very flammable. Use as a wadding obviously exposes it to the flame of the burning powder. In the experiment I observed, it resulted in a grass fire that took several hours to extinguish.

Back