• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trade gun rear sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those who think something that isn’t period correct is sacrilege, please move on.

I finished making a rear sight for my Pedersoli Trade gun & it was really simple. Posting here in case somebody else finds it helpful. The steel is just a piece of right angle bracket from the hardware store. I widened the hole to allow the tang screw to pass through. I then drilled another smaller hole for the aperture. I tested it out over the weekend to see where it was hitting on paper & check my group size. Satisfied with that, I then cut & shaped the rest to how I wanted it.

The first photo is the finished product. The second is my son shooting it this weekend with it attached as just a piece of right angle bracket with a couple holes drilled to see how it might work.

I went with a sharp point at the rear to help index it to a groove I had cut behind the tang. This way, when I clean it, I can hopefully realign it to get the same, rough, POI. Being able to remove it also leaves it free for wing shooting.

I’m still working on my flintlock skills. So small deviations in the POI are the least of my accuracy problems for now. But I’m satisfied with the results.

Hope somebody else finds this useful.

Attachments

• CAADD95C-A702-420D-82CE-5074206E8D63.jpeg
    CAADD95C-A702-420D-82CE-5074206E8D63.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 0F786B31-4C14-4D79-BD1E-A3252E20FD08.jpeg
    0F786B31-4C14-4D79-BD1E-A3252E20FD08.jpeg
    466.3 KB · Views: 0
For those who think something that isn’t period correct is sacrilege, please move on.

I finished making a rear sight for my Pedersoli Trade gun & it was really simple. Posting here in case somebody else finds it helpful. The steel is just a piece of right angle bracket from the hardware store. I widened the hole to allow the tang screw to pass through. I then drilled another smaller hole for the aperture. I tested it out over the weekend to see where it was hitting on paper & check my group size. Satisfied with that, I then cut & shaped the rest to how I wanted it.

The first photo is the finished product. The second is my son shooting it this weekend with it attached as just a piece of right angle bracket with a couple holes drilled to see how it might work.

I went with a sharp point at the rear to help index it to a groove I had cut behind the tang. This way, when I clean it, I can hopefully realign it to get the same, rough, POI. Being able to remove it also leaves it free for wing shooting.

I’m still working on my flintlock skills. So small deviations in the POI are the least of my accuracy problems for now. But I’m satisfied with the results.

Seeing as the Type-G trade gun, also known as a Carolina Gun, had a rear sight stock from the factory, and other trade guns have been found with them installed later,,,, we really can't say they aren't period correct.
That misconception is due to the NMLRA not allowing rear sights in trade gun matches, for whatever reason...

Seeing as the Type-G trade gun, also known as a Carolina Gun, had a rear sight stock from the factory, and other trade guns have been found with them installed later,,,, we really can't say they aren't period correct.
That misconception is due to the NMLRA not allowing rear sights in trade gun matches, for whatever reason...
Interesting.

Thankfully, no. The trade gun has plenty of thread to screw into the trigger assembly. It doesn't work on my kentucky rifle, though. That one would need a longer tang screw for sure.
Thanks for the info. I put a sight on my trade gun but I just glued it on with some Goop adhesive. It works good but seems kind of cheesy, maybe I’ll re-do it with the tang screw.

I like it! Nice job putting it together!

Good comments, and good for you for doing what works in your balliwick. If the whole world did only "period correct" we'd still be wearing animal skins and knawling on raw bones.

Latest posts

Back