• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trade Gun Ramrod - Spiral or Not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't have to get in line and just be another pee in the pod. Do something neat. Do something original. To hell with historically accurate. A ramrod is a mere accessory and can be changed for a few bucks. Be bold! Go forth young man!

Feel better now? Thought you might need a little pep talk after Grizz raked you over the coals. Jappan your ramrod. You don't see that done these days. :)

Let me throw in for the injuns
In case you had not noticed.
We like um loud,brass tacks!
A swirl?inappropriate? I think not!
Was mine it might have earings
Amd feathers Scalp comes to mind🤭hcpc dat!

It’s always your own gun and you can do with it what you will
An American rifle sported a hand forged or imported iron barrels, we have steel. None of my guns pass muster. I’ve got wrong locks, I have uncarved wood and unengraved brass. Not correct for the time.
My TFC is shorter and heavier then the originals
So no one can say don’t do x with your rifle. We all have a beam in our own eyes, that’s too big to worry about the mote in someone else.
So do your own thang
But
Isn’t it nice to try to be correct to your style?

I picked up a used Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket. If it was ever shot, it wasn't very much. The front sight was filed down.

Other than that, I'm really liking this gun and can't wait to shoot it.

As with all Pedersoli's the factory ramrod is worthless. So I have an unfinished hickory rod that I will be sanding a little to fit in the thimbles and channel. Then it's getting stained and finished with Tru-Oil.

Here's my question. What's everyone's opinion on putting a spiral stripe on the ramrod?

I read on another thread that striping wasn't done till about the 1820s. Is that true?

Would it look out of place with the Trade gun or not? Too gaudy? Just right? A nice touch? Or What?
HUH!?? I'm tired of folks saying factory gun ramrods are junk. I have a Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket. I have a few hundred shots (or more) on the factory ramrod and all is fine. It's even pinned from the factory. I own MANY CVA's./Tradtions, Lymans, Peds, AND customs and I have NEVER broken a ramrod since 1990. Quit pounding down obviously too tight ball/patch combos AND learn how to properly ram a ball ball home with short strokes and you will not break a rod. Period. Grab a rod at the opposite end in an attempt to ram home a silly tight ball/patch combo and you will break any wood rod out there.

If somebody else paid for the gun I would ask what they like. If I pay for something I do as I please. If nobody else likes it I would tell them not to look at it! (being from Jersey it would be a lot harsher)

HUH!?? I'm tired of folks saying factory gun ramrods are junk. I have a Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket. I have a few hundred shots (or more) on the factory ramrod and all is fine. It's even pinned from the factory. I own MANY CVA's./Tradtions, Lymans, Peds, AND customs and I have NEVER broken a ramrod since 1990. Quit pounding down obviously too tight ball/patch combos AND learn how to properly ram a ball ball home with short strokes and you will not break a rod. Period. Grab a rod at the opposite end in an attempt to ram home a silly tight ball/patch combo and you will break any wood rod out there.

You assume that I’m using the ramrod incorrectly with the methods in your aforementioned comments.

I do not use the ramrod in the manner you describe and the patch/ball combinations aren’t tight as you suggest.

It’s a pity that you’re “tired of folks saying factory gun ramrod are junk.” Well you should just stop listening to them so you don’t get so fatigued.

I’m glad the factory ramrods work for you. However some of us have different experiences.

That doesn’t imply that we’re all guilty of using incorrect loading techniques or too tight of a patch and ball combination.

Only factory wood r/r ever failed for me , was the one on a 10 Ga. Pedersoli SBS . It just died from severe usage. Lust shot it so much , she started to splinter , and was replaced with another hickory.

I'm on the fence about stripping a ramrod. I have done it, and, on some guns, it looks just right but the strips are wide apart and random. It's done with a light touch with a torch free handed. I will wax the rod with paste wax - no Tru-Oil :eek:

Ok so,my thoughts were never to ,"stain" with a nitrate base or any conventional either. But a painted stripe in white or the color of choice
Like a squirrel brush and a drill ,paint, and an extra pair of hands. Should have it covered!would this be jaegar ish? Im not mr. Hcpc .but like push the lines.Not destroy them..

I tend to like the simpler look of my muzzle loading guns. To me a ramrod is an expendable article that will be used up. I don't stain my ramrods, but I do put some sealing oil on them. A spiral pattern on a rod looks good and I believe that it belongs or rifles that have extra carving or wire scroll work.

I picked up a used Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket. If it was ever shot, it wasn't very much. The front sight was filed down.

Other than that, I'm really liking this gun and can't wait to shoot it.

As with all Pedersoli's the factory ramrod is worthless. So I have an unfinished hickory rod that I will be sanding a little to fit in the thimbles and channel. Then it's getting stained and finished with Tru-Oil.

Here's my question. What's everyone's opinion on putting a spiral stripe on the ramrod?

I read on another thread that striping wasn't done till about the 1820s. Is that true?

Would it look out of place with the Trade gun or not? Too gaudy? Just right? A nice touch? Or What?

So I too have a Pedersoli trade gun, and since it's authentic-ish..., there are a lot of "flaws" in how Pedersoli did theirs compared to actual trade guns of the time period... so what!... do what you like when it comes to striping the ramrod. That personal touch isn't suddenly going to transform the piece from "authentic" to an "anachronism". ;)

LD

Back