• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trade Gun Ramrod - Spiral or Not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enfield58

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a used Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket. If it was ever shot, it wasn't very much. The front sight was filed down.

Other than that, I'm really liking this gun and can't wait to shoot it.

As with all Pedersoli's the factory ramrod is worthless. So I have an unfinished hickory rod that I will be sanding a little to fit in the thimbles and channel. Then it's getting stained and finished with Tru-Oil.

Here's my question. What's everyone's opinion on putting a spiral stripe on the ramrod?

I read on another thread that striping wasn't done till about the 1820s. Is that true?

Would it look out of place with the Trade gun or not? Too gaudy? Just right? A nice touch? Or What?

I picked up a used Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket. If it was ever shot, it wasn't very much. The front sight was filed down.

As with all Pedersoli's the factory ramrod is worthless. So I have an unfinished hickory rod that I will be sanding a little to fit in the thimbles and channel. Then it's getting stained and finished with Tru-Oil.

Here's my question. What's everyone's opinion on putting a spiral stripe on the ramrod?

I read on another thread that striping wasn't done till about the 1820s. Is that true?

Would it look out of place with the Trade gun or not? Too gaudy? Just right? A nice touch? Or What?
It was largely a southern thing, I like it on some guns, a trade gun it would be unlikely

It was a Southern thing and late as well. You were told right. I've seen it on 80" OTL guns and it looks grand.

I know a old guy who scoped his TC Hawken and loved to snicker at me because I preferred iron sights. He didn't care what the herd thought either. Killed more deer than anyone I knew. His personal uniform was a Miller Lite, grey sweatpants, a wife-beater with Cheetos stains on it, and flip flops with dress socks. The old bachelor drove two miles in his tractor one time to help me get my truck out of the mud. He'd mounted a big 9' or so round outdoor furniture umbrella with pastel flowers on that old John Deere for shading the seat. He didn't give a damn. It was on sale, and it was hot that summer.

Last edited:
Lot's of great advice here. I don't go along with the herd just to go along.

However, I do appreciate history and like to be historically correct as much as possible. And sometimes, that isn't always possible.

So, I'll stick with a simple, dark stained ramrod.

I know a old guy who scoped his TC Hawken and loved to snicker at me because I preferred iron sights. He didn't care what the herd thought either. Killed more deer than anyone I knew. His personal uniform was a Miller Lite, grey sweatpants, a wife-beater with Cheetos stains on it, and flip flops with dress socks. The old bachelor drove two miles in his tractor one time to help me get my truck out of the mud. He'd mounted a big 9' or so round outdoor furniture umbrella with pastel flowers on that old John Deere for shading the seat. He didn't give a damn. It was on sale, and it was hot that summer.

I'm quite fond of people who say "screw it" and do their own thing. Folks who don't care what others think, you know, practical people.

But, I ask myself, if I do something to emulate someone else, am I really doing my own thing ?
I always have to ask myself that question.

To each their own, ramrods are replaceable.

I'm quite fond of people who say "screw it" and do their own thing. Folks who don't care what others think, you know, practical people.

But, I ask myself, if I do something to emulate someone else, am I really doing my own thing ?
I always have to ask myself that question.

To each their own, ramrods are replaceable.

No doubt, doing your own thing is often a good thing.

That said, occasionally the herd is doing just what I would've done, and so I tag along....

Last edited:
Back in the early 1970's when guys were trying to find their muzzleloading rear ends w/both hands , and some did and others never did , the first thing many folks did was to stripe their wood r/r's . Nobody really gave a hoot if'in it was correct , but a lot did it 'cause it looked cool. You could visit an old guy ,or so , in town still selling original m/l rifles out of his garage. I remember several of the old guns w/ striped r/rs. There was more than a little discussion at the shoots , among guys on the best way to stripe a r/r. Guess it was a passing fad, but fun..........oldwood

I came to a sign on my journey down the path, reading it stated to stripe or not to stripe after a bit of ponderance, I said the He## with it and done my own thing. In other words it is your gun do as you please with it. Be a sheepdog not a sheep.

Well if I was going to stripe it, I’d make darn sure it was in a clockwise direction.

Everyone knows that in the Northern Hemisphere the stripes are put on in a clockwise direction.

In the Southern Hemisphere, the stripes run counter-clockwise.

😁😁😁

False.

It depends on the twist of the rifling. The ramrod stripes need to turn the same way as the rifling or it will cancel out the spin of the ball.

I have one striped ramrod and it's in a fancy German hunting rifle. At first I thought it was to glitzy. It grows on you. I say do it. Show your style.
L Kohrmann striped ramrod.JPG

I have a striped rod on an antique Liege double shotgun; the original rod was lost and the owner made it. He would’ve originally bought it in the 1970s. I like the looks and feel of it; however, I’ve often wondered why he made it in that fashion.

Somewhere in the last 50 yrs, I came across an article about striped r/r's. The author alluded that the striping of a r/r in the post 1800 era , indicated a rifled barrel. If that's the case , what was the indication of a smooth bore , perhaps no striping? Were smooth bore shooters being slighted ?? Have we detected another glaring injustice here in the land of the free???................oldwood

Have you ever asked someone else:

Do you think I like green or blue?
Do you think I like skinny girls or stocky girls?
Do you think I like blue jeans or cargo pants?

Why do you ask others what you like? If we knew what you liked that means you would have already told us.
If you like it - then like it.
If you don't like it - then don't.

Have you ever asked someone else:

Do you think I like green or blue?
Do you think I like skinny girls or stocky girls?
Do you think I like blue jeans or cargo pants?

Why do you ask others what you like? If we knew what you liked that means you would have already told us.
If you like it - then like it.
If you don't like it - then don't.

I could not make up my mind and wanted to find out if striping was historically correct.

What I’d really like is an ebony ramrod but finding one of them is as easy as finding an honest politician.

Latest posts

Back