• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trade Gun rabbit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniata

40 Cal
Reaction score
I took a walk this afternoon for squirrels and couldn't find one. So I started kicking brush piles. Seems stupid since I have 2 good rabbit dogs at home in their kennels.
Anyhow, I kicked up 2. The first one ran a short spell and stopped so I blasted where I last saw it. Dead rabbit!
As far as the 2nd rabbit, I saw a greenbriar tangle so I eased up and looked into the brush pile and could see it's black bead eye... Very seldom do I pick them out but this one I did...so I got on the ready and stepped up closer, it darted out, did a 180 and zig zagged down across and all I can say is there was fire, smoke and leaves flying up everywhere but the rabbit was still goin'.
So much fun.

PXL_20230107_195050436.jpg

I took a walk this afternoon for squirrels and couldn't find one. So I started kicking brush piles. Seems stupid since I have 2 good rabbit dogs at home in their kennels.
Anyhow, I kicked up 2. The first one ran a short spell and stopped so I blasted where I last saw it. Dead rabbit!
As far as the 2nd rabbit, I saw a greenbriar tangle so I eased up and looked into the brush pile and could see it's black bead eye... Very seldom do I pick them out but this one I did...so I got on the ready and stepped up closer, it darted out, did a 180 and zig zagged down across and all I can say is there was fire, smoke and leaves flying up everywhere but the rabbit was still goin'.
So much fun.
I used to love to hunt rabbits and would take one whenever in the past when out hunting birds. A rabbit was the first game I harvested with the single shot 20 ga. my dad bought me. Still have it. I was hiding under cedar tree limbs and one was driven right to me. I fired and my dad was really worried at the report and said are you okay. I said yes, like what's the problem. He said why did you fire, I said to get a rabbit and he said did you get it. I replied "well of course", like why would you question that. I was a jerk back then!
My wife actually made delicious chipped rabbit with gravy on toast once and it was great.
We have at least one and I think two living under our back deck and I like to see them. They are quite tame and don't even run when I come out. Though I don't try to approach them, yet they are only a very few yards away they just continue to feed. I just leave them alone.
We also have several pesky squirrels that raid my bird feeders and they are NOT welcome or tame, they know I don't like them and run up a tree the moment I open the back door. I used to shoot them with a 22 using CB Shorts which are a 29 gr. bullet at approx. 700 fps. Got a least a half dozen before stopping. It seemed the more I shot the more showed up. But that's not exactly approved here so I don't now.
I do have a new adult pellet air rifle that I am considering using to reducing my disdain with them but my wife would have me move out if she knew so maybe not.

I used to love to hunt rabbits and would take one whenever in the past when out hunting birds. A rabbit was the first game I harvested with the single shot 20 ga. my dad bought me. Still have it. I was hiding under cedar tree limbs and one was driven right to me. I fired and my dad was really worried at the report and said are you okay. I said yes, like what's the problem. He said why did you fire, I said to get a rabbit and he said did you get it. I replied "well of course", like why would you question that. I was a jerk back then!
My wife actually made delicious chipped rabbit with gravy on toast once and it was great.
We have at least one and I think two living under our back deck and I like to see them. They are quite tame and don't even run when I come out. Though I don't try to approach them, yet they are only a very few yards away they just continue to feed. I just leave them alone.
We also have several pesky squirrels that raid my bird feeders and they are NOT welcome or tame, they know I don't like them and run up a tree the moment I open the back door. I used to shoot them with a 22 using CB Shorts which are a 29 gr. bullet at approx. 700 fps. Got a least a half dozen before stopping. It seemed the more I shot the more showed up. But that's not exactly approved here so I don't now.
I do have a new adult pellet air rifle that I am considering using to reducing my disdain with them but my wife would have me move out if she knew so maybe not.
Bad luck to shoot house rabbits.

Back