• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trade gun Jess and me.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
....out n'bout today testing.
The testing was to try and get .562" ball working good enough for rabbit hunting.
Why you may ask? Because I have a stack of them I cast above a decade ago!

Well the testing is on going but before returning home we put the sneak on a buck rabbit.
DSC03074.JPG

I maybe onto a useful load with the ball but will try more testing tomorrow after work. I forgot to add the bore of my trade gun is .63!!

B.

Last edited:
The testing was to try and get .562" ball working good enough for rabbit hunting.

Well the testing is on going but before returning home we put the sneak on a buck rabbit.
View attachment 7149

I maybe onto a useful load with the ball but will try more testing tomorrow after work. I forgot to add the bore of my trade gun is .63!!

B.
good luck with the smoothy ball load. i dont have a smoothy, but am kicking it around. would be fun to experiment with.

View attachment 7149

B.
Priceless photo; the look on Jess' face beggs for a caption. How about: "Really?......Again with the camera?.........We're burning daylight here.......You know, if I could work that gun myself you and that camera would be home alone right now....Just saying.

Outstanding Nathan. Keep the pictures coming for those of us sidelined for now.

A .562 out of a .63?

Nope, won't work. No way, no how. Best to give up on that notion right now!:cool:

Keep us posted Skychief.

Outstanding Nathan. Keep the pictures coming for those of us sidelined for now.

A .562 out of a .63?

Nope, won't work. No way, no how. Best to give up on that notion right now!:cool:

Keep us posted Skychief.
Sky, thanks and just to update on the .562".....waste of time. I tried today but could not get any reliability from them.
Out of interest I shot two .610"(approx) and they were on the money.
The gun after yesterday and today's shooting was as black as a crows arse! And so are my hands! The gun took some cleaning, nearly a whole 1/4 hour!
Oh well, nothing ventured......

View attachment 7149

B.
That is sweet!!! you smoothbore guys get it done!!! I guess eventually I need a smoothbore. ive got a couple extra barrels that I can have bored out

Howie, how close you drop your hogs you could send a .700 ball through them easily from a smoothbore!
Mr. britsmoothy, that post got me to buy a smoothbore, only problem was my smoothbore 12 was suppose to have cylinder bores, come to find out they are around .69 so full choke range. I love my smoothbore am happy I'll start looking into ont that has twin cylinder bores as that was my whole intention. Now I got a turkey and squirrel gun in one

Congrats Brits on another fine hunt!

Keep em’ coming Brother!

Great photo too.

Have you tried a .626 ball? Un patched....?

My 16 gauge , which mics at .653 really likes a .648 ball un patched...

Just a thought. Of course a Man could always buy a .58 cal for those balls you got laying around..... lol

Last edited:
Congrats Brits on another fine hunt!

Keep em’ coming Brother!

Great photo too.

Have you tried a .626 ball? Un patched....?

My 16 gauge , which mics at .653 really likes a .648 ball un patched...

Just a thought. Of course a Man could always buy a .58 cal for those balls you got laying around..... lol
Sure, it shoots a .62" fine.
I sold my .58's years ago buddy.
Thanks

Back