• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trade gun id

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would agree with it being one of the Indian imports. The lock plate has that odd, shiny-but-grainy appearance, and the details of the lock lack the crispness you would expect to see in a top quality lock. I'm wondering if the barrel "stampings" might be laser-engraved. The circle around the sitting fox appears to overlap one corner of the octagonal section of the barrel. I don't see any way you could do that with a stamp.

Comparing the photos in post #1 to the image in post #16, I can see the screw slots in the lock bolts are rotated differently. We could say somebody just tinkered with the screws, but the grain in the wood of the buttstock shows some subtle differences, too. It could be the lighting, I guess, but I don't think it's the same gun.

Regarding the trigger, as shown in post #1, image #3, I think the problem is the slot for the trigger is too long, extending forward of the trigger, which allows the trigger to swing forward and the trigger "knife" to drop down. This can and should be corrected. A simple, slotted plate, positioned so the forward end of the slot will serve as a stop, would do the job, but some original trade guns simply had a little square of metal inlet ahead of the trigger to serve as a stop, which would use less metal than a full-length trigger plate. Gunmakers and dealers were very cost conscious in those days.

I've seen a couple of Indian muskets, but I haven't fired one. A lot of people like them. A lot of people don't. I think some of the folks who dislike them have experience with them, but I honestly believe a few of the detractors are going on hearsay. If it functions properly and the barrel has been appropriately proofed, $700 is a good price. The maker went to some trouble to try to make it look authentic, and I would say it is more PC/HC than the Pedersoli trade musket.

The musket(s) shown in posts #1 and #16 appear brand new. If it has been in storage ten years, somebody knew how to prepare it. I am very confidant that it is not an 18th or 19th century original. I also think those two posts show different guns. If that's the case, we wonder just how many of them "dad" had stored in that cabinet. If I were to buy it, I think I would want an inspection period, and the option to return it for a full refund less shipping.

I don't want to sound too negative. That gun looks "correct" enough to satisfy all but the most demanding of reenactors, and if it is a safe and reliable shooter, the asking price is a real bargain.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Take a close look at the trigger. Maybe the trigger guard is misplaced? Looks like it may not have been inletted. I imagine that can be fixed though.
No scratches on the frizzen so unfired.

wm
Trigger guards on original Northwest guns were surface mounted, meaning not inletted. Also, the tabs on the ramrod ferrules or pipes were typically made quite tall, and the slots for them were cut all the way through the forestock and into the barrel channel. The ferrules were each made of a single piece of sheet metal, folded over a mandrel, so the tabs were of two layers. The "layers" of the tabs protruding into the barrel channel were separated and folded down, so the barrel itself held the ramrod pipes in place.

The originals were sturdy, lightweight, functional firearms, made as cheaply as possible without compromising safety and utility. There is no way they could compare to the fine fowling pieces intended for a more affluent market.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I sent the seller an offer pending inspection. Even if the trigger needs a little work (the plate fer instance) I'm a lifelong maintenance electrician/mechanic and fixing stuff like that should be child's play for me.
I'm also a range master and I fix guns for our members all the time, so...

wm

Last edited:
Thanks all for the input!
The seller agreed to a half payment pending inspection and swapping DL pics for protection on both ends.
I guess we have a deal. What a terrific forum, members and information base to rely on!

wm

I sent the seller an offer pending inspection. Even if the trigger needs a little work (the plate fer instance) I'm a lifelong maintenance electrician/mechanic and fixing stuff like that should be child's play for me.
I'm also a range master and I fix guns for our members all the time, so...

wm
Military heritage sells them brand new for $579.00

I would agree with it being one of the Indian imports. The lock plate has that odd, shiny-but-grainy appearance, and the details of the lock lack the crispness you would expect to see in a top quality lock. I'm wondering if the barrel "stampings" might be laser-engraved. The circle around the sitting fox appears to overlap one corner of the octagonal section of the barrel. I don't see any way you could do that with a stamp.

The large "stamps" on the barrel..., likely electro-etched. ;)
Same with the sitting fox on the lock, although the lock does have an actual very small stamp on it as well that's an actual stamp.

It's a Military Heritage gun for sure.

LD

it looks like a CURLY & IRMA, sitting fox gun. I have one in 12 bore. one of just 10 that they made. it may be one of them. what bore is it?

INDIAN made guns as far as I know don't use the SITTING FOX, on barrel's & and lock? I may be wrong.

Well in this case, these are photos from the Military Heritage website, and their muskets are of India origins.

MILITARY HERITAGE TRADE GUN LOCK.JPG
MILITARY HERITAGE TRADE GUN BARREL.JPG

LD

Trigger return spring is missing or broken. Not hard to remedy. However trigger is pretty far forward in guard. That may be fixable by removing guard and trigger and filing. I'm a builder, and could do this in maybe 2 hours work.

My N W T Gun is from Military Heritage and is a good shooting piece. I had to do several things to it to get there but it was a fun project and I think it is a strong gun.
All the guns I purchased from Military Heritage needed to be tuned but are worth the effort to get a usable shooter!
LBL

My N W T Gun is from Military Heritage and is a good shooting piece. I had to do several things to it to get there but it was a fun project and I think it is a strong gun.
All the guns I purchased from Military Heritage needed to be tuned but are worth the effort to get a usable shooter!
LBL
I have a military heritage trade gun and a fusil de chase from them they are great shooters. Just treat them as a preassembled kit and have fun. You can learn slot on one of these.

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_160323.jpg
    IMG_20200501_160323.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 1604279582875.jpg
    1604279582875.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 64
Back