• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade Gun Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panama Red

I heard there was pizza…
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Why do the barrels of trade guns go from octagonal to round? It was my understanding they were designed to be less expensive guns to trade off, but it seems that feature would add to the construction complexity, and therefore increase the price to produce.
What am I missing here?
-Red, too much time on his hands…

Octagonal provides greater chamber strength.

It also gives you flat sides for a vent hole.

From a machining standpoint, I'd think it easier to secure a wide flat surface than to secure a slippery round surface. From a manufacturing standpoint, I'd think it visually/mechanically easier to pound a red-hot octagon into shape than to pound a rounded shape.

Muskets like the Charleville had massive round breeches and a flat ground on the side of the barrel for a vent hole.

P.S. The breech end of my antique .62 has a 1.226 flat to flat measurement. As Trump would say: YUGE.

Last edited:
Why do the barrels of trade guns go from octagonal to round? It was my understanding they were designed to be less expensive guns to trade off, but it seems that feature would add to the construction complexity, and therefore increase the price to produce.
What am I missing here?
-Red, too much time on his hands…
From what I've read, the Natives seemed to desire certain features. You are correct, of course, but just like the Indians' insistence on the Serpent, maybe the barrel design was set, and that was that! I have that book on the Trade Guns, must re-read it to see if any mention, and of course, the sharp-eyed guys on this great site will also chime in!

Well ....thats a great question and i do not know . Mere speculation here but when the trade guns started with the HB Co. in the 17 th century the only thing I can think is ....the barrels were already made that way and they didn't want to change the making process . I have no idea if this is true because , as you surmised , it would have been easier and a bit cheaper to not have the breech section octagon . They weren't forged octagon , or at least they weren't all forged octagon , as many original barrels you take out of the stock and the bottom section is still in the round to save time and $ . I just cut the breech section off an original barrel couple fays ago , top that shows is Oct. bottom is still in the rough round , kinda neat .... Why ? Your guess is as good as mine . I think it was more of a " style " thing that they were already doing it that way and it just carried over to the trade guns too or ...the process in that they were made , it was just one of the steps in a very specialized manufacturing process and they just did not want to or have to change it , how the barrels were made , maybe the builders did not make the barrels but bought them and thats the way they came.... The trade guns made by Wheeler were left round sometimes ? Good question Red . To this day , I buy my blanks from Ken then I grind the flats on them.....I'm a glutten for punishment too ! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20230329_171426.jpg
    IMG_20230329_171426.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back