• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trad. Kentucky Pistol Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORBushman

"In the Woods"
Reaction score
My little Kentucky kit for a backup and fun range gun arrived today. Going to put this together for a fun project to pass the rainy days. Looks like a good bit of sanding will be in order as there are some thick spots that need taken down. Hopefully I can get it right and have a fine little pistola! 😁 Inletting is so much better on this kit than that stupid Crockett kit I tried to do!

thumbnail_IMG_0901.jpg

Last edited:
I started on the easy stuff today. Got the barrel blued up and went to the hardware store for some heavy duty sand paper, gloves and some Birchwood Casey Tru Oil.

thumbnail_IMG_0902.jpg

I started on the easy stuff today. Got the barrel blued up and went to the hardware store for some heavy duty sand paper, gloves and some Birchwood Casey Tru Oil.

View attachment 189277
Soon you’re going to have more MLs than you can shake a stick at!!!!
Congrats on the pistol!

In order to get the trigger guard in, I had to extend the front more than a 1/4" to get it to fit in. I was nervous to do this part as I had to use my dremel tool to do it.

thumbnail_20230116_204934.jpg

In order to get the trigger guard in, I had to extend the front more than a 1/4" to get it to fit in. I was nervous to do this part as I had to use my dremel tool to do it.

View attachment 190909
Looking good! I’ve been thinking about trying a kit. I was thinking of using my carving tools but had forgotten about the dremel. They are great but so easy to remove too much. I’m looking forward to seeing your progress.

Looking good! I’ve been thinking about trying a kit. I was thinking of using my carving tools but had forgotten about the dremel. They are great but so easy to remove too much. I’m looking forward to seeing your progress.
AA9A1D33-CCC6-4472-B5D9-B382E0374A8D.jpeg
I got one of these thinking I would try some engraving on the britework and wood of my kits. Now I realize it will also help me not get too ham-handed with wood removal during inletting.

Last edited:
Got a little bit of sanding and fitting done this evening. Just a tad more and the nose cap and stock will be pretty flush. Tang and upper stock have a nice fit and I still need to take a little off in the grip area. Not building an heirloom custom but, still want it to look halfway decent so, taking my time and enjoying it.

thumbnail_20230119_232734.jpg

Last edited:
I just had one of those kits delivered yesterday,I was surprised how close all parts are to fitting,trigger guard is only part that will need more then light touchup of wood to get it to fit properly,also 1 screw to hold on thimbles isn't threaded,I'll probably just pick up a hardware screw it'll be hidden once together,I'm 99%sure I don't have tap that small.

Back