• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Track to puzzle over

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good link! BUT notice how the track I posted is more open and you can draw an X between the toes and the pad. The one in the link is rounder and that X can’t be drawn. This is one way to tell the difference between a canine and a feline. The Wyoming track matches a canine in that respect. Reading about the extinct Dire wolf indicates that they were about or only a tiny bit larger then our current gray wolf. This track is twice as large of the wolf tracks I saw in Alaska. Still a puzzle to me as I have no formal training in such matters. In North America there were at least three types of Smilodon, the largest one is smaller then the one that made the South American track. But still the toes aren’t right.
I was thinking Dire wolf, also, but that's a big track. It is definitely from a canid of some sort. There was a very large prehistoric canid, larger than a Dire wolf, called an Epicyon, but I don't know their range, nor do I know if their period of existence would coincide with when that track was made. That's a pretty cool find, in any event.

Maybe the shunka warak'in... ?

There was mention of a few two-toed tracks nearby. Do we know what kind of critter made those tracks?

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I'd recommend talking to an archaeologists and seeing if they can identify. Whatever it is, it's in surprisingly good shape.

A giant mammal track in sandstone? Unlikely.
And so well defined and deep? Suspicious.
Why is the area around the track clean of the lichen you see on the rest?
Need to know age of the sandstone formation. Most western sandstone is too old for mammals.

I was shown this track and have heard two ideas of what it is, I have a third. It’s in sandstone of Wyoming with some other tracks. I won’t say what I think at this point as to not cloud the issue. Maybe the answer can be found by talking with some collage types.
IMG_0965 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I would say that is some type of canid like a wolf type animal. The triangular heel pad the the faint toe nail imprints is a sign of a canid. Cat tracks have a broader more clover leaf type heel pad and will not show toe nail marks because they are retracted.

looks more cat than anything else

did sabertooth have retractable claws? if not then that is my take. If they did have retractable claws then I am at a loss.
I can’t answer that directly, but one of the things I know is that saber tooth cats were ‘all cat’ but had a very dog like carteristics. It been hypothesized they were slower but longer running then lions and tigers that are in their size range today.
Just based on their body type I would hazard the claws may have been partly exposed and not fully retractable (?)

Back