• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Track to puzzle over

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I was shown this track and have heard two ideas of what it is, I have a third. It’s in sandstone of Wyoming with some other tracks. I won’t say what I think at this point as to not cloud the issue. Maybe the answer can be found by talking with some collage types.
IMG_0965 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Good link! BUT notice how the track I posted is more open and you can draw an X between the toes and the pad. The one in the link is rounder and that X can’t be drawn. This is one way to tell the difference between a canine and a feline. The Wyoming track matches a canine in that respect. Reading about the extinct Dire wolf indicates that they were about or only a tiny bit larger then our current gray wolf. This track is twice as large of the wolf tracks I saw in Alaska. Still a puzzle to me as I have no formal training in such matters. In North America there were at least three types of Smilodon, the largest one is smaller then the one that made the South American track. But still the toes aren’t right.

Back