• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Track of the Wolf

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a supplier, here is a recent transaction:

I ordered a Colerain "C" weight fowler barrel last Thursday morning. Also a front sight and the gunsmithing service to install it. The next day, Friday, I get an email with a tracking number that it had shipped and I should receive it by tomorrow, Tuesday.

I don't think it gets any better than this. LOL

Rick

Hi Dave

I previously ordered the same barrel, rifled, and it came with the breech plug properly installed from Colerain as advertised. Maybe they are the only barrel manufacturers that install the breech plugs at the factory ?

Rick

Regardless, check..., I had a barrel from Track..., breech plug was installed and bout 1/8 of an inch short. IF they did it, their bad, if they simply sold it, they should've inspected it before shipping (and it wasn't drop-shipped) so again their bad. :wink:

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
Regardless, check..., I had a barrel from Track..., breech plug was installed and bout 1/8 of an inch short. IF they did it, their bad, if they simply sold it, they should've inspected it before shipping (and it wasn't drop-shipped) so again their bad. :wink:

LD

Track, or one of the other numerous suppliers who sell factory breeched barrels (Colerain, Rice, Getz...etc) are now expected to remove the breech plugs from every barrel they receive from said barrel makers to check to see if they were done properly?...Egads! :doh:

In all seriousness though, of course that is always good advice to check to see if the plug is installed correctly since it will most likely have to be removed during the build anyway. IF there does happen to be a problem, which would be very rare, I'm sure any of the suppliers or barrel makers would make it right.

Have sold 4 builds early on through TOW's consignment sales w/o any problems. Told them what I wanted and they applied their 33 % and all 4 sold quickly. I know...33% is a lot but I wanted exposure and gladly paid for it w/ the 33%. Thereafter I was able to sell my builds myself. TOW's website receives 1000s of hits daily and it worked for me.

Putting a price on one's builds can be very subjective and Dave's experience in appraising many, many MLers sometimes is contrary to the builder's idea of what he wants for his "labor of love".

Went to TOW to deliver a build that would be posted on his consignment sales and while talking to Dave, a proud owner of a completed TOW parts set came in, interrupted and wanted to know the value of his LR. Dave looked at the LR and then was asked by the builder what the value was. Dave hesitated seeing he didn't want to give a price because he might have to sell it for that amount. The builder insisted and Dave quoted a price that was below the total cost of the parts set. The disgruntled builder walked out and Dave told me he had just lost a future customer. He also said the LR reeked w/ impatience and if the builder had spent some addt'l time on each item, the price would have been higher.

I've bought most of the smaller LR items from them and have had no problems because I've always asked if each item is back ordered.

Dave Riplinger, the owner, is an astute business man who values his reputation and it shows....Fred

Hi LD

I looked over the barrel after I received it. The breech plug tang lines up with the barrel exactly. You almost need a magnifying glass to see the line.
I ran a rod down the barrel and measured, and the threaded portion appears to be the right length. So I think we are good. I also had TOTW solder a front sight on the barrel. It's on the right place and did a nice, tidy job. So I shipped it off to the builder yesterday. Of course, he will be the final judge. :haha:
By the way, this barrel will be part of a Spanish style gun build. It's currently being built with the same profile barrel, but rifled. But since it will have barrel bands versus pin fastened, I'll be able to change the rifled barrel out to the smooth bore with little fuss, should I decide to down the road.

Rick

Started on a new adventure with a BP cartridge rifle I have had for years, since I have retired I now have time to finally do this. Part of the adventure is research and building the needed loading equipment needed for this.TRACK OF THE WOLFE has been great with information and needed supplies, quick shipping and exceptional service, I would highly recommend their products. So as not to upset anyone I understand the above mentioned weapon is taboo as it is used as a opener for the discussion. As for general flintlock items I shop at FT.CHAMBERS GUN SHOP in Pa.was just there yesterday. As a side note if any of you shoot these weapons it would be appreciated if you shoot me a private mail. Hope I have not over stepped the rules. AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

Back