• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track of the Wolf Roundballs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got a package of .320 roundballs (for my ill fated .31 Pocket Pistol purchase from Midway) from Track of the Wolf.

Package says Rush Creek Roundballs

They are a sorry lot of balls. Who ever cast them doesn't do it well. Lots of balls with casting flaws. Which steams my knickers. They are tiny, small bullets are easier to mold right than large bullets. They shouldn't have flaws.
I will pick out the handful of good ones and throw this lot into the melt pot and cast my own once I get my mold.

Just got a package of .320 roundballs (for my ill fated .31 Pocket Pistol purchase from Midway) from Track of the Wolf.

They are a sorry lot of balls. Who ever cast them doesn't do it well. Lots of balls with casting flaws. Which steams my knickers. They are tiny, small bullets are easier to mold right than large bullets. They shouldn't have flaws.
I will pick out the handful of good ones and throw this lot into the melt pot and cast my own once I get my mold.
Bummer! Call Track, they are good to deal with. They would want to know anyway so others will not have the same issue.
Larry

320 sounds large for a .31. .315 seat hard in my Remington. Hard enough that I bent the screw I think.
Steamed knickers sounds uncomfortable. Call TOW. The should make good for them.
chambers are supposedly at .318 for the Uberti and the recommended ball is the .330, from the load booklet
I was a bit worried that .320 may be a hair small.

chambers are supposedly at .318 for the Uberti and the recommended ball is the .330, from the load booklet
I was a bit worried that .320 may be a hair small.
I’m thinking you know more than I. Got this Remington pocket on a trade complete with a 32L conversion cylinder. I gave up trying to hit anything with it.

I’m thinking you know more than I. Got this Remington pocket on a trade complete with a 32L conversion cylinder. I gave up trying to hit anything with it.
check your fit of barrel and cylinder, shouldn't be able to fit a whisker between the two. If there is a gap, it will let gases escape and this will start cutting of the metal, slow and sure increasing your gap amount. This will throw accuracy out the window along with your muzzle velocity. I can be forgiving of the flaws in a single shot pistol as one can figure out their issue and aim accordingly. But with a revolver there is just too much to sacrifice with a bad piece.

As for sending the bullets back. Naw. I just got them to hold me until I got my mold and made my own. I expected rejects, just not as many. There are about 30 good balls I can use.
I just sent them a simple message informing them their bullet provider needs to perfect their casting method and I would just keep the balls. Also just don't care to run to the UPS store over a handful of lead. Not like we are talking an expensive purchase like a pistol... ;)

check your fit of barrel and cylinder, shouldn't be able to fit a whisker between the two. If there is a gap, it will let gases escape and this will start cutting of the metal, slow and sure increasing your gap amount. This will throw accuracy out the window along with your muzzle velocity. I can be forgiving of the flaws in a single shot pistol as one can figure out their issue and aim accordingly. But with a revolver there is just too much to sacrifice with a bad piece.

As for sending the bullets back. Naw. I just got them to hold me until I got my mold and made my own. I expected rejects, just not as many. There are about 30 good balls I can use.
I just sent them a simple message informing them their bullet provider needs to perfect their casting method and I would just keep the balls. Also just don't care to run to the UPS store over a handful of lead. Not like we are talking an expensive purchase like a pistol... ;)

No problem with cylinder gap. Problem is it’s a belly gun with no inherent accuracy. The S&W 32 cartridge conversion uses a .312 bullet which is too small , it rattles down the bore.
Bad Karma gun from the get go. Front sight fell off. Replaced with half a dime, that fell off then the stud locking the loading lever to the front of the barrel fell off. Bought replacements. Sent it to a well know person in these pages. Took almost three years to get back unrepaired. Talked to another here he advised a new barrel as both front sight and locking stud are straked (?)! in and soldering would ruin the finish anyway. Bought new barrel $95. Had a local gunsmith install.

I plan on casing it with conversion cylinder and the 32 S&W Lee die set and offering it for sale sometime this summer.

320 sounds large for a .31. .315 seat hard in my Remington. Hard enough that I bent the screw I think.
Steamed knickers sounds uncomfortable. Call TOW. The should make good for them.
I shot 00 buck, .330 dia. Worked great in my 1849. Longer bearing surface helped I think. I made a bronze loading lever extension and made it easy. Probably shouldn’t use that big a ball in any brass framed model.

I have used various Rush Creek bullets/roundball from Track myself and have run into similar problems.

In my case it was .715" roundball, two or three different .45 roundball and some .50 caliber minie ball. It seems like multiple molds and alloys are getting packaged together.

I had a sweet load using the .50 minie ball out of a T/C Hawken with which I shot a 3 shot cloverleaf at 100 yards. Bought a few more bags of the 'identical' stuff and found out that a basketball was safe at half the distance.

I use the Rush Creek stuff but just informal shooting - not hunting or competition.

Eddie May was mentioned and I have used him in the past. Some quality control issues there also. But very economical if you max out a flat-rate shipping box (70 lbs?). Poor UPS guy carried that box all the way up my 170 ft. driveway and asked "what's in this thing. lead?" yep.

I have used various Rush Creek bullets/roundball from Track myself and have run into similar problems.

In my case it was .715" roundball, two or three different .45 roundball and some .50 caliber minie ball. It seems like multiple molds and alloys are getting packaged together.

I had a sweet load using the .50 minie ball out of a T/C Hawken with which I shot a 3 shot cloverleaf at 100 yards. Bought a few more bags of the 'identical' stuff and found out that a basketball was safe at half the distance.

I use the Rush Creek stuff but just informal shooting - not hunting or competition.
If I hadn't spent a year perfecting my own casts I might not be so inclined to spot casting imperfections. But once I nailed down the casting method my shots improved noticeably.
But seriously, if a ball is obviously imperfect, throw it back into the melt pot.

Back